Y plan to S plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have thought for a while to swap my Y plan to an S plan as the 3 port valve is playing up. I have the 2 port valves so no problem there. My question concerns the need to remove the 3 port valve a fit a copper T piece, mine is done in 28mm. I am wondering could I not leave the body of the 3 port valve in situ, after removing the motor and the rubber ball from inside to save disturbing the pipework, especially that going to the HW cylinder. The empty body would then just be acting as a T piece.

Sponsored Links
Leaving old stuff in like that is asking for trouble imo. If you’re going to convert, do it properly.

Hardly a big deal to cut out and replace, not a great idea to leave it in

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
As stated my main worry is the compression fitting on the pipe going into the HW coil. There is little room for manoeuvre to get a spanner in so that the fitting in the tank does not get strained.
Suppose I will have to bite the bullet and give it a go.

Sponsored Links
Post a photo if you can, we might be able to give advise on how best to tackle it

Attached is a photo. Now I must have been having one of those moments as I was concerned that trying to undo the fitting at A would be awkward whereas I suppose I could undo it at B and go from there. valve.jpg

• Thanks
Attached is a photo. Now I must have been having one of those moments as I was concerned that trying to undo the fitting at A would be awkward whereas I suppose I could undo it at B and go from there.View attachment 247688
Sometimes it takes another look to notice something, but yes, either join it in that nut at B using compression, or remove the nut and olive and solder.

Will probably do the latter.:cool:
It will be a bigger job than that, you wont get the HW zone vave in there when you fit a Tee, you will have to cut back the communal pipe and turn upwards, then Tee in further up, once you have done that the HW zone valve will probably just fit on the same nuts and olive when you remove the 3 port

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back