C plan to S plan questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New here, so go easy on me. :D

I have a 10-year old Esse oil cooker/boiler (separate burners for the two so basically a standard jet oil boiler on the heating side).

This has four tappings and currently runs in C plan. 28mm pipework from left side up (with vent off) to the cylinder and down again (with cold water feed in) through a two-way motorised valve (Honeywell V4043H) to return. Right side is 22mm flow to central heating and return (with pump on the return).

Cylinder stat, room stat, TRVs, motorised valve and pump all wired properly in C plan.

I'm replacing the cylinder for a bigger unit to run a pumped shower and thought it would be worth upgrading the heating to S plan to give better HW recovery.

Question is, can I use the existing 28mm pipework on the current HW side as the vent and feed/expansion (which reduces to 22mm and 15mm respectively where the pipes branch off to the attic) and use the 22mm pipework side as flow and return for both HW and CH (repositioning the pump in the flow rather than return, moving the existing Honeywell valve after the pump and replumbing to the new cylinder, and adding a new Honeywell valve for the CH side after the pump)?

Or am I better off capping the 28 mm side completely (which I'll have to do about 2 metres up the pipes rather than at the boiler due to access issues) and adding the vent and feed to the 22mm side before the re-sited pump?

Or has anyone got any better suggestions? Current set up looks exactly like this

semigravity.jpg

Trying to spot potential problems with pressure differences before starting here.

Sponsored Links
In case I've confused everyone, here is a pdf of the current situation and proposed solution

Boiler-systems.gif

There is a single radiator that comes off before the pump that could be utilised as a bypass when both valves close off.

Does having the DHW valve after the cylinder matter?

Is the vent going to cause problems where it is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back