Pump Sounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
When the central heating pump starts up I can hear a whooshing sound or a running of water sound in the area of both the pump and cylinder ( both are in the same cupboard. There is one motorised valve there also which appears to be working correctly. It seems to take the cylinder longer than it should to heat up as well. There is a vertical pipe coming up off the pipe from the pump with an auto air bleed ( bottle air vale on top ) and if I remove the "tyre valve" cap and press the valve itself I get water coming out, so I suspect no air is present. Am I or could I be right in thinking the pump ( Willo Gold 60 ) is on it's last legs ? with this noise ?. I must stress that it's when the pump STARTS up that I hear it.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
have you tried to bleed the air from the pump? there is a screw on the face of the pump (about the size of a 20p piece). if you loosen this a couple of turns (not completely) and hold some kitchen paper underneath to catch any drips you might bleed some air from the pump. if it is not air it could be a build up of 'sludge' in the pipework, what size pipes do you have leading upto your radiators?

Thanks for replying.
The pipes are 22mm going to 10mm to each rad. There is no sludge, it's clean. I have loosened the centre screw and only water comes out.
Could it be the pump ?.

Sponsored Links
it is possible, but the fact that you hear the sounds in the pipework leads me to believe that it is a system fault. however i may be worng

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back