Purlin stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I’m in a 1908 house with original second/loft storey with dormer. The room is about 4m long with two hefty purlins running from one wall to the next. Below the lower purlin there was an original
Lath and plaster stud wall that I’ve taken out. (I did the same with the back room but this wasn’t as wide). at one end the purlin seems well supported but at the other it only goes into the wall by about a brick width. But then it is very solidly wedged with timber blocks within the brick cavity.
my question is whether I need more support or a central support for this purlin. I also have two hangers(?) from a roof rafter to a floor joist... they seem v flimsy and ideally I’d like to remove them.
Any help appreciated. Pictures below...

Attachments

• 02DFE796-2C8D-489C-AC53-9188965E3BA0.jpeg
    02DFE796-2C8D-489C-AC53-9188965E3BA0.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 591
  • F59E52F0-39CA-4736-9BC4-96CA36C79E98.jpeg
    F59E52F0-39CA-4736-9BC4-96CA36C79E98.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 437
Sponsored Links
Replace studs at 1/2m intervals and install rigid insulation between , but before that perimeter needs insulation as it appears to be missing .Board with insulated plasterboard.

Cheers Foxhole. I was intending to leave the purlin as is, reboard to the brick wall and dry line the brick wall. The purlin is the second purlin in the room and well embedded at the sides into brick. Just wondering if it’s okay to leave it or if it needs a central support. I think I’m being paranoid.

Sponsored Links
Would a bracket tying to the wall suffice? I did this in the other room and absolutely solid. Plus the primary purlin above bridges the whole span with no support?

:cautious:The stud wall would have provided support to the purlin so as foxhole says you need to rebuild a timber stud wall under the purlin unless you want to get a structural engineer to calculate whether the unsupported purlin is adequate for the span and loading.

Hmmm. How could the stud have supported when there’s only a joist under the purlin? Would a central support suffice?

Basically just the sane as all of these.

Attachments

• 366EA703-A7A8-49E2-BE72-F9884AD13BB4.jpeg
    366EA703-A7A8-49E2-BE72-F9884AD13BB4.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 23DF97A8-C1B1-4B91-861B-3F107A14662B.jpg
    23DF97A8-C1B1-4B91-861B-3F107A14662B.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DED113F7-FFDF-4753-B4D4-A2F249323D00.jpg
    DED113F7-FFDF-4753-B4D4-A2F249323D00.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 307
  • C08960DF-7CFA-4DBF-B5BD-7A63C1316AA9.jpg
    C08960DF-7CFA-4DBF-B5BD-7A63C1316AA9.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 326
Hmmm. How could the stud have supported when there’s only a joist under the purlin?
It depends on the span ,loading and timber section size of the purlin and the joist :!:
ps and assuming the constructions shown in the photos are sound how do you know what is under the plasterboard :?::!:

Ok I’ll put back a couple of central supports. House is engineering brick, purlin span 4m and its an 8.5inch deep timber with a second 11inch purlin above it. Pretty hefty and all the other examples are local but prob best to get a central support... just looks so wierd without one.

Not sure of your construction but you mentioned hangers. The traditional arrangement was that hangers went from purlins to binders running over and at right angles to the joists - the purlin gave additional support to the joists. (The old Part A of bldg. regs had tables for roof timbers including purlins, perhaps somebody can dig them out and advise for your span etc :!: )

Cheers that’s what I was thinking. I’m not sure the verticals I have are hangers. They are pretty flimsy and fixed from the roof joist to a counter timber running across the Floor joists. Again these are pretty flimsy two. Only two of them aswell. I did wonder whether they were used in the construction.
im thinking a bit of edge support and remove the central support. That way the span is only 3.8m.

Cheers that’s what I was thinking. I’m not sure the verticals I have are hangers. They are pretty flimsy and fixed from the roof joist to a counter timber running across the Floor joists. Again these are pretty flimsy two. Only two of them aswell. I did wonder whether they were used in the construction.
im thinking a bit of edge support and remove the central support. That way the span is only 3.8m.
The vertical bits are just strips of wood to stop the ceiling sagging.

The vertical bits are just strips of wood to stop the ceiling sagging.

do you reckon it’d be okay to lose them or move them? The lath ceiling is pretty solid but I was considering over boarding it or skimming it one of these days...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back