Purlins and flying struts - reconfiguration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm after some advice about removing flying struts which support purlins, in anticipation of a potential loft conversion. I'd really appreciate any advice from an SE, please. :D

Two bed, mid-terrace house purchased in 2012.

I've copied the following text from the survey at time of purchase:

The Principal Void
I inspected the roof void from a ‘sensible’ timber framed drop down ladder and with the aid of a lead light. The roof is of traditional construction and is built with common rafters meeting a ridge board and gaining intermittent support from purlins (horizontal beams), one to each slope, built into the party walls behind the chimney stacks. Both have bowed, more so perhaps the front, but in each case additional strengthening has been introduced by way of
two flying struts to each having collars between them and taken off two binders, double binders, timbers running across and at right angles to the ceiling joists where they have been embedded into the party walls so helping to relieve pressure on the ceiling joists below.

In some respects, I always think it is a bit of a false economy to have carried out such work and not to have bitten the bullet and actually replaced the roof in its entirety but, there you have it and it is likely it will remain for many years to come. Rafters are protected with reinforced slater’s felt and
with a universal shout of ‘lights out everybody’, there was no evidence of any significant daylight entering the void apart from the eaves which I suspect is due to reflected daylight. The party wall between the properties is of 225mm solid brick but in neither case was there evidence of any fracturing.

I think my surveyor has quite a way with words :D

Here's a picture:

Ok, so the roof is leaking and I'm considering what work may be needed to fix the roof. This is the immediate issue and I've created another post in the roofing forum for this. But it got me thinking, if I want to convert the loft in, say, 5 years' time, would it be worth doing some more radical work now? Perhaps removing the timber struts and somehow reinforcing or replacing the purlins?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The roof has been retiled with heavier concrete tiles putting on the extra weight. Some of the rafters have been replaced at the time of re-roofing, guess they were rotten (leaks). The diagonal struts look newer than the origional timbers so probably went in the same time to compensate for the extra weight. Now you have to put in an application for building regs which I guess picks these things up when re-roofing a whole roof

If a conversion is your long term aim Its more cost effective saving for the loft conversion and replace the roof as part of that work, I don't think you can replace purlins easily at all without the tiles coming off

+1.
Fix the leak and leave the structure as it is until you're ready to do the loft.
(It looks quite a good repair as it is).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back