Purpose of a mysterious (to me) valve in my central heating circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just learning about plumbing so this might be a silly question...

I was looking at the central heating pipework in our bungalow's attic and noticed what appears to be a manual valve linking the flow and return pipes - see photo below. The valve I'm talking about is the one on the left.

xxwyxsi.jpg

Does anyone know what the purpose of this valve might be?

Sponsored Links
It looks like a manual bypass.

Do you have TRVs on all radiators except the one in the room with the wall thermostat?

Most of our radiators have TRVs (I think the only exceptions are heated towel rails in the bathrooms). There is also a TRV on the hall radiator where the wall thermostat is located - is that a problem?

If it is a manual bypass under what circumstances would it be used?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Many thanks all for the responses. Now I know what to search for ("manual bypass") I've been able to find plenty of helpful info.

Also my boiler (Glowworm 30cxi) is fitted with an automatic bypass valve so I guess the manual bypass can be left closed.

Last edited:
Your towel rails will act as a by-pass anyway as they never shut down if no TRVs fitted so you can safely close this valve but as with all valves screw it till shut then ease back off again about a quarter turn it takes the strain off the valve

but as with all valves screw it till shut then ease back off again about a quarter turn it takes the strain off the valve

Really? Think you are thinking about opening valves. A positive shut off is just that. back it off and it can start passing, however small. Backing off when open stops the valve from seizing in the seat and being unable to shut off but still requires movement every now and again.

Jon

Apparently the valves on flow and return allow the radiators at one end of the bungalow to be isolated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back