push button cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. i have a push button cistern(1 button).every 10 mins or so you can hear the cistern topping up.i have took the lid off,flushed to toilet and the water goes up to a certain level-not overflowing into flushing mechanism.there is a very small trickle of water going into pan and i can see water level as dropped in cistern-about 5 mm.shining a torch into the empty f/mech i can see a small drip where water is coming in somewhere,right at the bottom.as anyone got any ideas how to solve this.toilet is about 6month old.thanks.mark

Sponsored Links
ive been told to reduce the filling level-even though its not overflowing.will this work?

Sounds like you have a leak from your cistern - I am fixing the same thing. Cut off water supply, empty cistern and try taking the mechanism apart to see where it comes from. New mechanisms are not expensive and depending on how your cistern is positioned, may be easy to replace.

The trickle of watergoing into the toilet means it is either overflowing or has something small stuck atthe bottom of the flushing valve thus not allowing it to seat properly. I would reduce the fill level first and see how that goes. BTW , if water trickles into the toilet it means it IS overflowing. Most of these new flushing valves can be removed by giving them a quarter turn and then pulling them upward. This would let u check for any thing from stopping it from closing properly. Refitting is same procedure....push down and then give a quarter turn.

Sponsored Links
check the rubber seal at the bottom of the flush valve they are common for scaling up and letting water past or the seal has started to turn up at the edges when they get abit older.

you don't need to buy a complete flush valve just cause its passing fit a new seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back