Push fit plumbing

1 Feb 2002
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need to adjust the pipework on a rad' to accommodate cladding. My question is this: Can I replace the copper pipe which runs from the rad' to the adjacent wall with push fit fittings and associated pipework? At the adjacent wall, the copper pipe joins push fit, and plastic(?) pipe work, so it would just be a case of extending this. Is there any reason why not?
Sponsored Links
you can use polypipe right up within 1.2m of the boiler/combi etc.

You must make sure that you either use the same type fittings that are currently installed (as the internal Dia are different which can cause "blow-offs", or you can use the compression type (also used on copper).

Its worth making a note to buy BARRIER pipe as well, this is a three layered pipe which stops oxygen seeping and causing the destructive oxygenation (black sludge).
Rob it's the outside diameter which matters for fittings. These days you're very unlikely to see anything other than 15mm. Plastic pipes has inserts which must be the right ones for the pipe.

Take a look at Speedfit Stem Elbows. Bearing in mind that all the push-ft fittings rotate you might get away without adding any pipe at all.
Sponsored Links
surely the OD is 15mm? I know that John Guest have a rubber o ring attached to the insert, Osam and Hep20 are steel, and made of a lot thinner material.

Either way its best to keep to the same to avoid weeping, or worse, joints buried under expensive tiles! ;-(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local