push fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am embarking on fitting a mixer shower. There is no mixer shower at present. So I will be chasing pipework into the wall, taking of tiles etc. Now I was going to use copper piping and solder joints (would be first time soldering but doesnt seem too hard), but I have just seen the price of blow torches :eek: . So I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on using push fit connectors burried in a wall? Also are they very much bigger so they would be difficult to dig in. Its an old house with brick wall and plaster so I'm a bit worried about the depth for chasing in.

If plastic fittings are OK would I use copper pipe with plastic connectors or all plastic pipes (worried about expansion with hot water?). I have copper feeds to the wall for hot and cold installed.

FYI The hot water is supplied form a combi (worcester 28 junior).

Looking at fitting a Mira Exposed Valve 415 pressure balancing http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1408-15250 . This is not thermostatic but balances the pressure, is that worse than thermostatic or better?

I want the strongest shower possible which I know I am limited in by using the combi.

Sorry for the bazillion questions!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
There are cheap blolamps aplenty, only notice their lack of quality when tipped downwards - they flare.
Practise a few joints and use copper. Pipes in walls need to be protected and able to move, ideally in a duct but on a wall that's not really practical - put them in a bigger pipe. Do a search here on BURIED!

Right great, I did a search but didnt use 'burried' key word :rolleyes:

So I will use some plastic corrugated conduit and put the copper 15mm pipes into it.

Also I have seen a genral purpose blow lamp using propane/butane for a tenner, would this suffice for my small job? Or do you need an all propane jobby?

Anybody any ideas about the shower?

ANy blowlamp is fine for 15mm. Best when warm, and not an absolutely new cartidge - use a tall one and waste a bit!
Get everything really clean with wire wool, use solder ring fittings, a LIGHT smear of flux on everything, move the torch around to heat pipe and fitting, don't overheat or you'll burn the flux and the solder won't stick.

Pressure balancing is probably the best type for a combi. Some thermostatic ones don't work well with some combis, tho I think that combi would be ok with most.

Sponsored Links
great thanks for your advice, bben out and bought what I need, here goes!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back