Conex fittings plastered in wall

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

professional opinions please.

We are installing showers at work. I'm responsible for the electrical side of things.

Plumbers are using plastic pipe from under the bath chased in wall will a conex fitting plastered in wall then a straight piece of copper into the shower.

What are your thoughts on this? Personally I think it should be all copper with soldered fittings.

All answers appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
come on this is a DIY forum why the aggressive response?:rolleyes:
very valid question i feel!

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS
Sponsored Links
would using jointing compound on the compression fittings make a difference? Or is it advised to use only soldered fittings if plastered over?

What are your thoughts on this?
This is not a DIY question!!!
But a Tradesman, Questioning another Tradesmans Work...
I bet he is peed off because it says in the instructions the Plumbing is to precede the wiring. Sparkies dont like it.

What are your thoughts on this?
But a Tradesman, Questioning another Tradesmans Work...
I bet he is peed off because it says in the instructions the Plumbing is to precede the wiring. Sparkies dont like it.

no i think a question has been asked to find an answer not just to make some one look silly. this is a forum and this information can be looked up by anyone who had this dilemma. i also work as a spark and have plumbed in my own shower using yorkshire fittings. would be nice to know if i could get away with concealing compression fitting in a plastered wall as i find these easier to work with. i didn't think it was the approved way of doing it so advice would be appreciated.

What are your thoughts on this?.

He's probably thinking that you have a great big chip on your shoulder.

Really, so whats to stop a DIYER plumbing in their own shower?

But a Tradesman, Questioning another Tradesmans Work....

Clearly something you encounter a lot at work then?

I'm responsible for the design, not the installation!

Most plumber's worth their salt would not install conex fittings buried within plaster. Agree?

I think the plumber`s level of concern would be the root mean square of complacent :mrgreen: I would have the plastic pipe protected with cellular lagging and a void around the conex @ the top :idea:

Most new build sites I have worked on use plastic in the walls with a stab of copper sticking out of the wall for connection to the shower. The joint is usually a push fit elbow. Conex are push fit and apart from having a brass make up I see no reason why they shouldn't be used so long as they are tested and protected before being buried in the wall. If they were using compression fittings then that's a no no! Major builders and plumbing contractors use this spec so it must be ok and within regs. If I'm wrong then go and tell Lovells, Taylor Wimpey, Kier etc. that their first fix plumbing is ****!

Soldered all the way.

I used chrome elbows in the wall once with chrome copper sticking out for a towel radiator, and the guy got a tiler in to tile the bathroom. When I got back in to second fix, they were both leaking in the wall... nightmare!!! Had to chip away the tile just enough to get a spanner in but not too much so that you could see the chipping outside the chrome cap thing.

I will always use soldered fittings within a wall, just because of that one time....

First fix on large new builds is generally s**t either way :LOL:[/quote]

I particularly admire the great loop of plastic pipe found hanging just below the radiators.

Thanks for the responses.

By conex I meant a compression fitting.

The good thing is that my company have now implemented a spec and it stipulates copper and soldered fittings when burying in the wall / plaster. Most of the plumbers are of this opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back