Shower and Towel Radiator Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to install a shower cubicle and was wondering what would be the best way to run the pipework to the shower. It's a corner unit and both walls are of solid brick construction. Do I chase the wall out, lay copper pipe and plaster over it (the whole wall is being plastered) or lay the pipe and just tile over it? What about plastic pipe does that survive o.k beneath plaster? Going off the subject slightly has anyone come across chrome plated push fits, I'd like to use them to plumb a towel radiator. I've seen them in Screw Fix but you can only get them with a Pegler TRV, not separately. If they are available will they work on chrome plated copper pipe? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that plastering copper pipe into the wall is not a good idea. First cutting a chase in the wall can be a dirty job. There is a chance within a solid brick wall, that the pipe will freeze and burst.

If you do choose to do this then the pipe should be wrapped to prevent corrosion and permit thermal movement. Also the pipe should be easily isolated should a leak become apparent.

The regulations in this area are vague (although others will say different).

My advice would be to run an insulated pipe in a chase and tile over it. Alow the pipe to enter the wall above floor level behind the shower tray. Try to avoid covering over any fittings. If you can get fixings into your chase then use plastic pipe, it won't burst.

If you are having one wall replasterd why not get the plasterer to dry line one wall. This will allow you to run the pipe behind the wall finish easily and make the bathroom a bit warmer plus reduce condensation on that wall.

whatever you do make sure the pipe stands with mains pressure in it for a day before covering over to ensure there are no leaks. the regs suggest testing the pipe to 1.5 x the mains pressure (whatever that may be in your house, it varies) using a hydraulic tester for a period of 1 hour. during this time there should be no pressure loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back