Pushfit Lockshield valve on new rad... what is going on?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
First and probably not the last post!
I am installing a new rad in the bedroom and bought pushfit TRV and lockshield valve from Wickes.
The TRV is fine but the lockshield valve only has one nut - used to screw (with PTFE tape) to the rad. The problem is, when I tighten it completely to the rad the pipe exit would be facing into the room rather than down to the floor. There doesn't seem to be a way of tightening to the rad enough whilst keep the pipe entry point pointing downwards. Shouldn't there be another nut to be able to adjust independently?

Or am I missing something obvious?

I'm a 'ponsey' graphic designer who thinks he can handle a bit of plumbing - anyone care to help?!

Picture attached in case it helps!

Cheers for your time.

Sponsored Links
The big nut is a union. It will come apart if you hold against with another spanner. You can swivel it wherever you need then tighten back up.

Cheers Egga.
I did try that but probably without the necessary conviction and without a spanner big enough (used a pipe clamp) - it didn't seem to want to budge.
It looks a little corroded in that join (its a new unwrapped fitting from Wickes) - assuming it's fine and I just need to give it some wellie!

Cheers for the quick reply - kind of wanna get on it now but its a bit late to start messing with plumbing considering my skills!

Sponsored Links
No probs.

Put the other spanner on the big nut and pull up when holding against the valve. It will split.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back