Putting extra studs in partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a partition wall that needs some extra studs fitting. Its made from 3"x2" rough sawn timber and has cross members, i dont know if you would call them noggins. The plasterboard has been removed on the side im working from but the problem is i cant remove the board from the other side. The board is nailed to some of these cross members, so what would be the best way of fitting the extra studs securly. ive had a couple of ideas one being just to cut the new timber to fit in between the bottom plate and the first row of cross members and so on up the wall. This would be the easy method althoug it doesnt seem very solid. The second way i thought of was to cut the new stud to full length then cut out half depth and do the same to noggin were they meet so they interlock. Finally glueing and screwing this new joint. I dont know the name of the joint but its like say were the crossmember on a crucifix joins the vertical piece. This would obviously be more work but it seems the more solid route. If i go this way what would be the easiest way of cutting out the bits for the joints.

Sponsored Links
There wouldn't be a problem with you skew-nailing (at an angle) noggins between the uprights.
If you're doing it to hang shelves and cupboards from, just nail a noggin to the uprights that hold up the cross-noggins.
I'd measure and draw the position of any timbers before you cover it up with plasterboard.
That way, you'll get an exact location to screw to from either side of the wall. ;)

agree with Johnboy..and would add..... your joint is I think called a halving joint.........cut out for it with a circular saw set to depth, make several cuts close together and clean out with chisel ;)

unless oure putting a very large loading on the noggins then skew nailing will be more than adequate, just make sure they are a tight fit

Sponsored Links
Its extra uprights i need to put in all. Let me explain, i had a partition wall replaced and instead of putting the studs/uprights on equal centres there all over the place. These studs were then covered with thin plasterboard (9.5mm) and a skim of plaster, hardly the strongest structure to hang heavy weight tiles on. So the wall needs to be strengthened, it will now have the extra studs and will be covered with either 12.5mm aquapanel or 15mm plasterboard. The studs will be on 400mm centres which i believe is the recommendation for aquapanel. Thanks for the tips and info everyone, that circular sawing sounds an easy option.

I`d go for aquapanel , it`s worth the extra £ ;) ps. I understood you wanted extra uprights, didn`t know why tho` :LOL:

Is aquapanel stronger than normal plasterboard, like more rigid. I ask because i was originally going to put 2 skins of 12.5mm plasterboard up. The plan then changed to 1 x 12.5mm plasterboard overplated with 1 x 12.5mm aquapanel which i though was the best way to go until i rang Knauf up and asked was what i was proposing to do ok. The reply was no aquapanel needs an air vent behind it, i must get back on to Knauf and get some clarification on this but i just cant seem to find the time with this job.

It`s more rigid.....but I didn`t know (or see the reason) about ventilating behind :?: AHHHHHHHH :oops: I think I know what they mean, Use aquapanel only.not on top of plasterboard :idea: ie. don`t use 2 skins

Yeah i knew they meant only single skin, but i think the venting behind the aquapanel needs some clarification. Does it need a gap if so were do you stand on putting rockwool in as insulation. I will give them a call if i get time and find out, somebody else asked what was the venting about and i said i would call. Ive just been to busy though. Nice to know aquapanel is more rigid. The way i see the venting thing is as someone explained to me on this forum aquapanel is not a waterproof barrier. So if you take it from there that it lets water through it obviously needs some ventilation to dry out. Its advantage over normal plasterboard is that if it gets wet it doesnt disintegrate. I will get a definite answer about it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back