Advice on building a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to build an internal stud wall to divide my living room up into a living room and kitchen/diner and would appreciate a sense check on what I am doing!

I plan to build a partition fitted between a solid brick wall on one side and an existing stud wall (where the staircase runs) on the other. Here's what I plan to use:
1) 75 x 50mm timber for studs, with 600mm centres for noggins.
2) 12.5mm plasterboard
3) 108mm door lining

Does that sound sensible?

I was hoping to not plaster the wall (just cover gaps and paint), but that will leave the door frame standing about 8 mm proud, by my calculations. What would people do here? Plane down the door frame before fitting architrave?

Also - where the stud wall meets the existing stud wall, I was planning to fix it by screwing at the top and bottom (where the existing sole and header plates are) and then one screw about 3 foot up where I have found a noggin. Is that sufficient? I want to hang the new door on that side so am a bit worried that it will not not stable enough....

I've already lifted the floor boards upstairs and put in noggins for the new header plate, so that is all sorted.

I would appreciate any advice and a sense check before I commit to building!

I've scanned in a quick sketch of what I am planning for clarity.

Cheers!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Light switch ? stuff cavity with glass fibre as sound insulation. Looks OK. Measure up very carefully to get the frame square on the floor, one day some one may use clicky planking and out of square will be apparent.
Frank

Light switch ?

Hi Frank. Thanks for the reply.
Yes - I've thought of that. The door will need to open out into the kitchen (as there is an under stairs cupboard on the existing stud wall in the lounge) so I will put the light switch on the right of the door as you look at it on the drawing.

Is it ok to fix the new stud to the existing stud, like I described?

Ta!

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back