Putting fence on top of brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving house and in the garden on the left, there's a very short double skin brick wall. It is about 3 bricks high from the ground. The neighbours garden is like a 5ft drop so I would like to put a fence on top of this wall fo safety reasons. Just need some advice on what would be the best way to fit a fence on the brick wall.
Screenshot_20191010-233524.jpg
I have attached a photo of the wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-233524.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-233524.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,180
Sponsored Links
You could build some brick pillars and then infill with fence panels. Be sure not to exceed 2m overall height.

Go see your new neighbour, discuss it with them explaining how concerned you are with safety and the drop and ask if you can add uprights on their side of the wall, if they say yes then you can bolt/screw vertical 3x3 uprights that then allow you to add horizontal bars to attach a wooden fence to.

Thanks for replies. Mattylad, when you say uprights do you mean like post shoes on top of the wall then I can put posts in them. Could you please send me a link of the uprights you mean? Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's a good idea but with small kids, I don't want to take the risk.

I cant find any pics, prob coz I cannot think of the right words to search for.

If you can attach stuff to the other side of the wall, what I'm suggesting is - if the wall itself is 5', and you want to add a 3' fence to the top of it, get some 3x3 about 6' long+ and bolt it to the other side of the wall every time you need an upright, then you can add cross members to that and then add featherboard to that (it should be about the middle of the brick then).
Any system where you are placing a fence direct onto the top of the wall is IMHO going to be carp, not able to withstand lateral movement/someone leaning on it well.

Whether raising the wall with a fence so its higher than 6' no the other side is affected by planning I have no idea.

Thanks Mattylad. I will have to speak to neighbour first to see if they will let me bolt posts on the other side of the wall.

one thing that may help the conversation, if they are not instantly OK with it - offer to give them the good side of the featherboard :)

another point to note
as you have a raised area the 2m high is from the natural ground level on your side not from the raised area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back