Putting flooring in my loft for heavy storage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am new, I read this
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96202

and a few other threads and thought you seemed like a a good place to ask for help.

Our loft has some temporary flooring screwed down in the middle of the loft. The thing is now we have more stuff to put up there. We are getting rid of lots and having a general clearout rearrange etc. I have noticed during this that some of the flooring is breaking and actually we have some stuff sitting on insulation not flooring - scary moment this morning.

I have bought some loft boards from homebase. they are chip board. will they be strong enough to hold lots of (well crap really) books, bits of furniture, photo albums clothes that sort of stuff? but imagine lots of it in huge plastic boxes.

General Questions
1. Should I scrap the current flooring and get all new boards?

2. We have yellow wool insulation stuff every where ( fibreglass? itchy) how can I get rid of the spare stuff? not the stuff under the floor, we have a pile in the corner or is it best left alone?

3. Do I have to worry about condensation? the boards I have are tongue and groove - but should I leave a gap????? am confused

4. Should I, now I don't exactly understand this but should I put a frame on top of the joists to lay the boards on? or extra supports ?

5. Is there an idiots guide to this ? My loft looks exactly like the one in the pictures on the thread I linked to above ( only full of stuff with hardly any floor)

I will have loads more questions. Should I have introduced myself some where? before I asked questions? I hope this is ok.

In case you hadn't guessed I am a complete beginner. thank you for any help

ESM

Sponsored Links
The chipboard flooring is normally pretty strong but tends to come in 2 grades - loft flooring (not so stong) and "normal" flooring (full flooring strength).

I think you have to bear in mind that the ceiling joists are there really to hang the ceiling from and while they can often support a bit of weight, the more you load up there the more sagging and permanent damage you will do to the ceiling.

Light bulky items are ideal for storing in a loft. For loft conversions, to enable a proper strength floor they put in new joists and fit the floor on top of that. You may be lucky enough to have the same joists that are used for the floors in the rest of the house up in the loft in which case, you're fine. But that's not the norm.

Wow that is scary reading, I just assumed the loft was like a normal floor except it didn't have floor boards.

I can't strengthen the joists myself in anyway? Does this mean I'd have to get professionals in ? (shivers)

Oh dear. If I took pictures would that help? I mean would someone on here be able to tell what kind of joists they are?

thank you for your reply, am scared but its best I know!!!

cheers
ESM

Measure the width and depth of the joists. If 4x2 then you're not in too much trouble. Just be sensible with what you store and where. spread the load out, put heavy stuff over supporting walls. Maybe fix some shelves to brick walls.

Before laying the chipboard, use the counterbatten tip as mentioned squillions of times before on other threads.

Insulation is good, leave it be. If it's in the way then bag it up and give it away to someone who could use it. But leave yourself at least 4" under the new floor. Make sure there is none at the eaves (right in the corner where loft joists meet roof rafters) leave a few inches gap here for ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Yes, all sensible suggestions.
Floor standard joists are 6x2 I think, 4x2 isn't bad if you're careful.
You can do the work yourself, you can lay 6x2's next to the existing joists etc or another of different options depending on layout, where your supporting walls are etc.

Something else to bear in mind is that electrical cables aren't supposed to be insulated so don't trap them inbetween your new floor and the insulation. They can overheat depending on how much load they are carrying - in any case, I think that's what build regulations state.

I've done some research as we're about to embark on a loft conversion and I like to have an idea of the processes but I don't know everything. There are some decent books around that probably cover off more than you'll need to consider, the price of a book is nothing compared to other materials.

hi, back again having spent the day in the loft. I got hot and filthy. I did have a thorough investigation of everything up there. only one spider and one wasp so miminal panic.

My Mum and I sorted through some stuff. I can't really put down proper loft flooring, as much I would like to its just not possible. there is too much stuff and I have no idea what I am doing.

this is a rough list of what we have in the loft.

christmas decorations, duvets, two massive boxes of "breakables" we cannot part with, books x3 boxes, suit cases, three pet cages, one puppy carrier, about 8 plastic boxes full of my stuff (old stuff for work, more books, toys :oops: )

As far as I can tell the "joists" are about 2" across? and about two foot apart.

there is flooring laid some loft board, some melamine pieces ( they are fun and slidey to walk on) I moved all the boxes that were on the insulation :oops: :rolleyes: :oops: and put them more toward the middle which I hope is over the wall that divides the bedrooms. the flooring we have is mostly screwed down.

there is now more room up there, and I did get rid of some stuff.

to me all this seems very heavy - is this what people normally have in their loft?
In our old and proper house we had real flooring so I have never thought about it before....

so am i right to be worried?

cheers
ESM

extrastrongmint said:
this is a rough list of what we have in the loft.

christmas decorations, duvets, two massive boxes of "breakables" we cannot part with, books x3 boxes, suit cases, three pet cages, one puppy carrier, about 8 plastic boxes full of my stuff (old stuff for work, more books, toys :oops: )

to me all this seems very heavy - is this what people normally have in their loft?

the correct stuff to keep in a loft is:

One microwave (faulty)
two lawnmowers (faulty)
Three christmas trees (plastic)
Five sets christmas tree lights (faulty)
One tin hat
Crate of assorted RCBOs
Spare ball valve (new but wrong size)
Bathroom taps (old)
Bathroom taps (new, unfitted)
Old Clock (faulty)
One pigeon (dead)
Unopened roll of insulation
One torch (badly corroded)
One rusty metal tools (purpose not known)

and more...

extrastrongmint said:
hi, back again having spent the day in the loft. I got hot and filthy. I did have a thorough investigation of everything up there. only one spider and one wasp so miminal panic.
so am i right to be worried?

cheers
ESM

Yeh, was hot in 'the lofts' yesterday, I was in mine and was dripping after 15mins. No wasps for a change, and only 1 dead spider so no panics.

How old is your house, what part of London do you live, an 'old' part?

Depth of joists is the key and these tend to be deeper in older properties, most (including mine) are 4x2 which is ok to work with, I reckon yours are the same.
If you can get a few packs of loft boards from b&q, cordless screwdriver/drill, box of chipboard screws, some lengths of 2x2 then you'll knock this out in a day.

Hi,

I live in Essex*, in a part that was built in the 1950's its a small (stupid narrow doors) semi detached house.

We used to live in a proper house (high cellings) built in 1906, that had proper big thick joists and real flooring. not like I am bitter or anything.

In this house everything seems very thin. I will attempt to take photos tomorrow.

The volume of stuff we have up there is ridiculous. I have been checking the celling at various times during the day. :oops:

I got some loft boards 3 in fact and have placed them (not screwed yet not sure if this is all right) across what I think are the joists.

Also underneath a pile of huge boxes was a massive tin thing about three foot high and four foot long. Do you think its something important? its not the water tank. I nearly fell in that yesterday. its very manky.

Thank you very much for your help and patience!

ESMxx

edited to explain - I was born in London so always put that.sorry for confusion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back