putting pipes in the wall for bar shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I am wanting to install a bar shower so need to chase/ place pipes it the wall to do this and elbow out at 150 centres. However the wall is lath and plaster is there any way of doing this without taking the lathe and plaster off the whole wall and re-boarding with plaster board?

Sponsored Links
Once you cut the wall plate in, just feed the pipes through, doesn't matter if they are plastic in this case because it is point to point connecting.

Sponsored Links
I was wanting to elbow the pipes out of the wall the attach the chrome shower back plates that sit on the surface and screw back to the tiles. Is this maybe to do able, due to not being able to clip the pipes?

remove lathe and plaster put pipe work in the replace with aqua panel from wickes not plaster board you can tile straight on to panel

if doing that id have to remove the whole lathe and plaster wall? there's no way I can just remove a section were I need to run the pipes up so can clip them?

As long as the lath and plaster wall is sounds there is no problem with having it around a bath/shower.

Anyway, back to Fallout's issue. Yes, you can try cutting out a section of the lath and plaster down the wall, but it will likely make a mess of the wall. Once you start messing with L&P the plaster can come away all over the shop around where you are working from the vibrations from cutting through the laths (best tool for it is probably a multi function tool).

Afterwards you would need to patch the hole with plasterboard, and fill/patch plaster it all smooth an level.

If there aren't any noggins in the way, I would suggest just making a hole at the bottom, and one where you fit the shower fitting, and then using plastic pipe and poking it up the wall. A lot less making good.

Other possible suggestions:

1. If you are just tiling inside the shower area, cover the whole area with aquapanel, screwed to the wall. It will make the tiles proud of the wall by another 10mm, but you could use trim at the edge of the shower enclosure to hide it.

2. Dryline the wall with moisture resistant plasterboard.

I'm basically doing that on one wall on my current bathroom refurb. It's L&P, it's pretty uneven, esp. down one bottom corner where it sort of curves out. If I take the tiles off the tiled bit, it will be a mess wand will need replastering etc. etc. Though I'm not going to dryline it as such with battens , which will be a faffy job on that wall to get them level. I'm just building a stud wall effectively right against the existing wall (using 2x3 CLS timbers on edge to keep the depth down as much as possible).

It will give me space for running pipes for the bath filler wallspout, and easy wiring for some wall lights we want to put up, aand wasy to fix things to. And I will have a nice flat wall for tiling. It's lots of work, but bathroom last for a long time, it's worth getting it right.

I was wanting to elbow the pipes out of the wall the attach the chrome shower back plates that sit on the surface and screw back to the tiles. Is this maybe to do able, due to not being able to clip the pipes?

Oh, just reread the thread and picked up on this.

What shower is this? All external bar valves I've seen have a back plate that is fixed behind the tiles (unless running external pipes as well) and supports the shower valve. On a stud wall, you would normally fix a noggin at the right location to fix into.

The main fixing through the tiles sounds like a recipe for early failure to me. You have to fix through the tiles and L&P - and fixing to L&P is always a pain. Spring toggles are the only thing that really work except for the lightest things. But they require relatively large holes, and you are limited to the screw that comes with them, which doesn't always suit if it will be visible.

Thanks for the advice it sounds like there's no realy easy way of doing it. It is for a shower bath with a bar shower over it. Maybe it would be easier for me to put the shower not at the end of the bath, over the taps. but on the wall to the side of it as this is a solid wall so can chase pipes in which could be a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back