Putting up book shelves in victorian terrace - advice please

My concern would be taht there would be little in the way of support on the front edge aside from the screws at the side.
The screws at the back of the alcove will be sufficient to stop the boards from bending in the middle. For 200mm shelves I would use two at each end and two along the back, given your alcove width. For 300mm shelves I might use three at each end.

Sponsored Links
5-6mm screw , only long enough for secure fit. Takes a lot of weight.

Sorry to be an idiot but when you say 5-6mm screw you mean the width right and not the length? 5-6mm is very small indeed.

The screws at the back of the alcove will be sufficient to stop the boards from bending in the middle. For 200mm shelves I would use two at each end and two along the back, given your alcove width. For 300mm shelves I might use three at each end.

Excellent advice, thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
c2f283171905c2269e3402dafa0de24f.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks so much to all of you for your patient and wise advice. I came here with specific questions but will stay for the community and great advice :)

If you haven't bought then yet, did you know that you can get 63mm thick scaffold boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back