Putting wire back into Danfoss ATC thermostat (immersion)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help me...though please be patient with me & any advice in layman's terms please, otherwise I won' have a clue, which is less than what I seem to have now!

I have provided as many pics as possible to help explain my issue

Basically the problem I have is with the thermostat (Danfoss ATC) that is situated 2/3 of the way down my immersion tank, the wires that WHERE attached into this are now no longer IN IT!.

Danfoss cover.jpg

Unknowingly the cable happened to be under one of the back legs of my airing cabinet, which in front of my immersion. Anyway when this was pulled away and out off the airing cupboard, the wires became disconnected.

I have no idea how to reattach them.

I made safe the electric and removed the cover from thermostat, only it may as well be in Japanese.....I then figured if I removed the cover of the box (two port zone valve system) I may be able to get more of an idea, as well as searching on line, ending up trying to figure out all the electrical jargon regarding all the symbols, codes etc. .....anyway I'm stuck & going round the bend even more than usual!

Please could some one help me.I just need to know where to attach the wires back to the inside of the thermostat please.
-------------

So I have a bare wire (which has come disconnected from the thermostat), this is a 4 core cable consisting of these coloured wires:
- Green/yellow
- Brown
- Black
- Grey

(inside the thermostat there are 4 points to attach wires. Obliviously the earth is clearly marked. So it's just the other 3 (brown, black and grey).
The 3 remaining connection points in the thermostat are marked as follows:
1 (COM)
2 (N.C)
3 (N.O)
I know N.C & N.O mean closed & open & COM (I think) means programming, but that's about it!

Danfoss.jpg

The other end is connected to a TWO PORT ZONE VALVE SYSTEM:

Just to be clear of where the wires are on this system going by the diagram inside the system box:
- Green/yellow - I know this goes into the earth (I'd look very dim if I didn't at least know this one)
- Brown connected to number 9 marked as HTG.ON (Programmer)
- Black connected to number 6 marked as HTG & H.W./Orange (2-Port Valves)
- Grey connected to number 15 marked as Com (Cyl Stat)

So given this where do I reattach the wire as listed above to the Danfoss ATC thermostat?
from immersion diagram wall electic unit.jpg

Imerrsion.jpg

I am guessing more information maybe be needed, only rather than give a load of unnecessary rubbish about something I know little, if anything at all about. Best I just start here and wait and see what replies I get from 'those in the know' and take it from there.

Any help would be appreciated, please be gentle with me....no mean comments please. Just some HELP!!!! Please.

Many many thanks for any help in advance

NOTE:
WIRING INSIDE TWO PORT ZONE VALVE SYSTEM (this cable can be seen 2/3rds of the way up and to the far left of the picture, where there are 2 cable, on on top of the other. The cable that has become disconnected is the bottom one. (I hope from the picture you can see this have 4 wires, where as the cable above has only 3).

Again many thanks
--------------------
update and thanks to OwainDIYer

I'm guessing now I should of mentioned the following within my original question, I apologise for not doing so.
It was simply due to me not knowing much about this. Therefore, wanting to avoid making things more complicated.

The thermostat I have the problem with, I believe is the one that was added to the heating system when I had a combi boiler installed, which is wired up to the TWO PORT ZONE VALUE SYSTEM (as shown in the above message).

My actual immersion heater has an element with thermostat exactly like this one:
immersion-thermostat-pic-jpg.90981

Again apologise for not mentioning this before and thanks in advance for any help.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...tc-thermostat-immersion.450117/#ixzz3wOMqgVdT

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1 (COM) Common
2 (N.C) Normally closed (satisfied)
3 (N.O) Normally open (call for heat)

Your cylinder stat should connect to terminals 14 - 15 - 16 in the wiring centre as follows

14 Call = Cylinder stat 3 NO
15 Common = Cyl stat 1 COM
16 Satisfied = Cyl stat 2 NC (if used on your system)

Assuming the wiring has been done following the wiring centre labelling.

Hi OwainDIYer
Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'm guessing now I should of mentioned the following within my original question, I apologise for not doing so.
It was simply due to me not knowing much about this, therefore, wanting to avoid making things more complicated than they need to be.

The thermostat I have the problem with, I believe is the one that was added to the heating system when I had a combi boiler installed, which is wired up to the TWO PORT ZONE VALUE SYSTEM (as shown in the previous message).

My actual immersion heater has an element with thermostat exactly like this one:
immersion thermostat pic.jpg

Again apologise for not mentioning this before and thanks in advance for any help.

The Danfoss cylinder thermostat and wiring centre are connected to the boiler.

The immersion heater and its integral thermostat are completely separate and have no effect on the boiler.

However you said you have a 'combi' boiler - that would not normally be used with a hot water cylinder.

Sponsored Links
If you compare the wiring diagram in the lid pic and the actual wiring pic, there are several discrepancies. The most obvious being that, although there is a wire to terminal 3 (room stat common), there are no connection to terminal 2 (room stat call). There is also no connection to terminal 4. This suggests that the wiring box has not been wired up as recommended on the lid.

Without knowing what each cable connects to and which wire goes to which terminal in the junction box, it will be virtually impossible to tell you ho to rewire the cylinder stat.

Looking at your wiring centre.
Brown wire to thermostat terminal 1
Black wire to thermostat terminal 2
Grey wire to thermostat terminal 3
This thermostat must be earthed so green and yellow wire to earth terminal.

The black and grey wires should really be marked with brown sleeves/tape.

You will however need to replace the thermostat as the moron who fitted it has lost the cable gland which fits in the bottom of the stat. This is required as it acts as the cord grip. Do not refit this stat without the gland, as someone could easily pull the flex out again and could be fatally shocked.

Last edited:
Looking at your wiring centre.
Brown wire to thermostat terminal 1
Black wire to thermostat terminal 2
Grey wire to thermostat terminal 3
This thermostat must be earthed so green and yellow wire to earth terminal.
Are you sure about that?

Yes. Look closely at the wiring centre. The wiring is standard Y plan. The only cable it could possibly be is the lower of the 2 coming in on the left hand side.

HW satisfied connects to grey of mid positon valve. Grey on valve is connected to grey on stat flex which should connect to stat terminal 3(N/O)

Call for hot water directly switches on the boiler and pump and also connects with the orange wire of the mid positon valve. The stat flex wire connected here is black, which should be connected to stat terminal 2(N/C).

That leaves the brown wire which is shown going back to the programmer for HW on, and needs connecting to stat terminal 1(common)

Note the stat terminal numbers are the ones stamped on the terminals not counting left to right.

Last edited:
Yes. Look closely at the wiring centre. The wiring is standard Y plan. The only cable it could possibly be is the lower of the 2 coming in on the left hand side.
1. The OP thinks it's a "two port zone valve system". Now she could be confused by what it says on the label, so I posted an image of a 2 port valve. She hasn't bothered to reply.

2. Agreed about which cable it is as the OP kindly told us in her opening post.

3.The OP also told us:

Black - Terminal 6 (Valve orange)
Brown - Terminal 9 (HTG ON - i.e Heating ON)
Grey - Terminal 15 (cyl stat Common)

It is obvious that the wring does not follow the system show in the diagram on the lid (links are missing), so I don't see how you can arrive at the wiring you suggest.

I think they are just reading the top line of the lid of the wiring centre.
heating.jpg

I don't know which cable is the boiler and which is the pump as they connect to the same terminals. The labels at the bottom may be slightly crossed as they are tangled. I am sure about the labels on the right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back