Puzzling problem with 2nd floor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is my case:
Step 1: Isolated yesterday 2nd floor lighting from main switchboard to remove from mirror light the shaver socket transformer which blew 2 Saturdays ago (2nd floor lighting switchboard switch did trip at the time).
2nd floor lights comprise: 1. main bedroom group A spot lights, 2. main bedroom group B spot lights, 3. staircase landing spot light, 4. Attic light, 5. en-suite spot lights, 6. en-suite mirror light.
Step 2: Carried out the corrective work.
Step 3: Restored power to 2nd floor lights from main switchboard.

PROBLEM: staircase landing spot light and attic light no longer work (mirror light works). Have followed similar actions in the past but never had this kind of problem. Could it be that when the transformer blew, high current may have caused defects in the circuit that only now have manifested themselves? (absolutely all 2nd floor lights were working last week).

How can I check/test were the problem is?

Thanks and best regards

Sponsored Links
If you want my guess, the two lights you have mentioned are the last two on the lighting circuit (the mirror light being third from last) and you have inadvertently disconnected either (or both of) the permanent live or neutral from them.

thank you johnny_t

Well, I only disconnected the parallel branch within the mirror light that goes to the transformer (that was the intention at least). And also, there are only two wires feeding the mirror light from the wall, live and neutral (red/black). Is it still possible that the last two in the circuit have been disconnected ?

Sponsored Links
If you've just disconnected something internal within the mirror light unit, then my guess is unlikely to be correct - Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back