PV power back from Garden Room to feed immersion heater

Your original idea with the 4 core cable should work. Personally I would use 5-core so the circuit back to the immersion in the house has its own neutral. You will need to take the immersion circuit out of the CU in the house and connect it to the 5 core with an MCB in a separate enclosure suitably labelled or a fused spur box.

You may need a separate earth rod for the Garden Room so it is TT earthed, rather than exporting the earth from the house presuming that is T-N-CS.

Sharing neutrals in this situation could very easily lead to tripping RCBOs or RCDs

Sponsored Links
Sorry all, I didn't get any notification on answers.

I think you are missing out on the understanding of how these divertors work ........

I think I do understand

or use a 5 core

The cable to the shed is 25mm the cable to the immersion only needs to be 4mm, so it was cheaper buying 2 x 3 core instead of the 5 core.

Are you having a grid connected inverter? Most diverters won't off-grid work as they detect the excess being sent back to the grid.

Yes grid connected

Your original idea with the 4 core cable should work. Personally I would use 5-core so the circuit back to the immersion in the house has its own neutral. You will need to take the immersion circuit out of the CU in the house and connect it to the 5 core with an MCB in a separate enclosure suitably labelled or a fused spur box.

You may need a separate earth rod for the Garden Room so it is TT earthed, rather than exporting the earth from the house presuming that is T-N-CS.

No problem, will do, I assume the electrician knows about the earthing, I have an earth rod near the house and 2 cables coming in from the mast, that is all I know

Sharing neutrals in this situation could very easily lead to tripping RCBOs or RCDs

This is sorted now with a separate cable coming from the divider to the immersion.

Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back