PVA before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was always led to believe that i should use watered down emulsion to coat newly plastered walls before my 1st proper coat of paint but my plasterer is advising that i use a layer of 50/50 pva water to coat all the walls 1st instead ?? Can anyone tell me if they think this is correct before i get me roller out Thanks

Sponsored Links
no.

although if you decide you don't like the colour, it will be easy to peel the paint off afterwards.

No, don't use PVA to seal new plaster. Use a diluted "matt" emulsion,, always "matt". Give it a coat, let it dry, then give it another,, then go full strength.

Roughcaster.

Thanks both :D

just realised he told me to pva before we tiled the bathroom walls too which i have :eek:

Sponsored Links
PVA of an old wall will help seal it and help plaster to stick if you are skimming it, or rendering, or patching up mortar. I'm fine with that. So it is probably OK under a tile adhesive if the wall is a bit loose-surfaced, I don't know (no tiler)

but under paint, it tends to soften and prevents the paint adhering to the wall properly.

I'd guess your plasterer uses it for good adhesion of plaster to a wall, and has taken a liking to it.

Thanks John . No it's all new plaster throughout . He does seem fond of the Pva i think i shall give him the other 3 tubs that i have bought and get myself some more emulsion :LOL:

I was always led to believe that i should use watered down emulsion to coat newly plastered walls before my 1st proper coat of paint but my plasterer is advising that i use a layer of 50/50 pva water to coat all the walls 1st instead ??
A bit late but I agree with the others. If your spread advised to use PVA before painting he needs his power mud stirrer broken, his trowel hacked against the corner of a brick wall & then, preferable, bloody shooting :rolleyes: . I really don’t know where he’s got that idea from but perhaps he was serving Big Mac’s & Fries a month ago :LOL: ; what’s his work like :?:

So it is probably OK under a tile adhesive if the wall is a bit loose-surfaced, I don't know (no tiler)
Not really a good idea there either JohnD & if it’s a wet area, it can be catastrophic. Problem with standard PVA is it will always emulsify when it gets damp/wet, even after it appears to have totally cured. If your tiling surface needs a primer, there are others far more suitable. ;)

[/quote]
A bit late but I agree with the others. If your spread advised to use PVA before painting he needs his power mud stirrer broken, his trowel hacked against the corner of a brick wall & then, preferable, bloody shooting :rolleyes: . I really don’t know where he’s got that idea from but perhaps he was serving Big Mac’s & Fries a month ago :LOL: ; what’s his work like :?:

Hello Richard :D

Trouble is he is bigger than me lol... His work is spot on and i am fussy .all the other tradesmen seem impressed with his work too . too late for en suite half tiling done but i guess i could take it off the other walls . Thank you

No, don't use PVA to seal new plaster. Use a diluted "matt" emulsion,, always "matt". Give it a coat, let it dry, then give it another,, then go full strength.

Roughcaster.
better still Trade Matt...then it`s got no vinyl in it at all :idea: unlike Vinyl Matt which has....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back