Pva for one coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to use one-coat over painted walls in an effort to make them nice and flat instead of horridly all over the place. Do I need to pva before I use the one-coat like I would with multil? The instructions on the bag don't mention it.
I'm hoping not but expect I do

Sponsored Links
This link says to use thistle bonding agent(ThistleBond-it) on painted surfaces.

http://www.deepingsbuilding.co.uk/downloads/thistle_plaster_selector_guide.pdf

Seems to be for the purposes of bonding, rather than suction control, or otherwise that chart would say to use the Thistle GypPrime stuff I suppose.

Would the ThistleBond-it be the same as PVA?

I have been wondering the same thing for use of a bare wall that is mostly just reasonably finished multicoat plaster, but with a patch that is down to brick that I was hoping to repair with one coat. PVA the whole thing or just the bare brick.

Cheers OSH, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's pondering.

I've found a tech support number for the product so will ask them and let you know.

Tech support said use Bondit which is basically pva with sand in it to prove a key. So I went for the 'if in doubt, PVA it' approach.

Sponsored Links
Just recently used one-coat onto a similar background, PVA all the way! can't go wrong...

Hope you have a sponge float !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back