PVA on wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wanted some advice. I have removed old wallpaper from our walls in the spare room a few months back and over the last 2 weeks have been doing prep work to get them ready for re papering as the walls are bad so unable to paint them. I have had the issue with some very old paint that is on the walls with pealing so i have sanded these down on all walls and PVA the walls.

Is it ok to PVA walls before putting paper up in a few weeks. It wont cause any bonding issues will it by using PVA on the walls as i needed to use it to stop the old paint from pealing around the edges on areas. I see on the internet that people say dont use PVA. Does this mean dont use PVA on walls before papering or not.

The walls that have paint on them was applied many years ago in the dark ages. This will not react with the PVA.

Chris

Sponsored Links
PVA is fine prior to papering. But its a big NO NO prior to emulsioning as it will make it peel off. Dont leave it too long before the papering as even the PVA may start to come off depending on whats underneath.

Ohhhhh, I was not planning to paper until next weekend and i have now PVA the wall LOL. is a week to long to wait or will it be ok for a week with PVA on the wall.

Would i still need to size the wall before hanging paper

Chris

A week is fine, its when you leave it a few months prior to papering that you may get problems. You shouldnt need to size but if the wall is still a little thirsty, give it a rub with the paste brush prior to hanging tha paper.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say what u mean about little thirsty, Do u mean how much the wall soaks up the 2 pva coats i put on.

And many thanks for the advice so far. Can i ask on what ratio is best for PVA i have been using 1 to 5 water mix.

Is it ok to use PVA on one wall that has been replasterd as i dont plan to paint on it in the future and it will be paper

Chris

1.5 ratio is fine. Thirsty meaning the abscorboncy rate of the wall. It can still soak some of the paste off the paper when its put on if not careful.

So with using a mix of 1 Part PVA and 5 parts of water am i correct to say that i must use the same amount in the measuring jug for each for it to work.

With the new plaster wall in one part of the room i guest this will have a high risk of abscorboncy rate so is it best to apply a few coats to these areas

Chris

It doesnt need to be that precise to be honest. Just a good glug into a bucket and add water till its like milk. Brush it on the walls and then leave it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back