pva sealed new bathroom celing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I've done a few searches and it seems sealing new plaster with diluted PVA is not a good move.

I've just had an artex bathroom ceiling skimmed and the plasterer (a professional, but also a good mate) has sealed it with diluted PVA.

I'm ready to paint it and I'm not sure what paint to use for the best. I was going to use a bathroom paint but I'm worried it'll peel as I've read of lots of problems caused by the PVA. Any ideas? I've got to paint it tomorrow morning.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I take it that he pva-ed the ceiling before plastering?

You will need to mist coat the ceiling first. (watered down emulsion)

Andy

if he is in the habit of putting glue on a surface that people hope to paint, it is likely that he will soon be lynched.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like he PVAd the new plaster, so any emulsion paint you apply will lie on the film of (water soluble) glue. A mist coat will not help, because its purpose is to soak into bare plaster.

I take it that he pva-ed the ceiling before plastering?

You will need to mist coat the ceiling first. (watered down emulsion)

Andy

Did you read the bit about the mist coat?

I'm going to hope he used very dilute PVA and try a mist coat. \fingers crossed. If it goes on OK I think I'll leave it to dry and try and re-coat with progressively stronger coats.
I assume emulsion is OK for a bathroom ceiling?
I'm worried about covering the mist coat with bathroom paint as it seems I'll have 3 different separate layers of finish.

A bathroom is probably the worst place of all to have PVA'd a ceiling but it's a bit too late to say that now. Sometimes you can get lucky and the PVA will cause no issues and other times it can be a nightmare.

I'm of the opinion that a mist coat may be a bad idea now because the wetter the paint, the longer it should take to dry on a PVA'd surface, which may cause a problem immediately. I'm afraid it's just going to be a case of 'suck it and see'. :(

If you do get issues once painted then maybe a coat of Gardz or Peesltop may be required. :confused:

Well, I bit the bullet,
I've just finished.
I didn't apply a mist coat and went straight for a coat of Dulux bathroom paint.Horribly thick and nasty for cutting in, went on fine with the roller though.
It seems OK at the moment,fingers crossed.
But I'm going to be Johnny Paranoid checking for blistering/peeling for the next few days.

Crunch time really will be the first time someone has a long shower and there is a lot of moisture in the air.

Hopefully you'll get away with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back