PVA on new plaster?

D

Deleted2797112

My elderly Mum has just had her bathroom renovated. The old tiles were removed and the walls skimmed. The new walk-in shower area is tiled. I think the tiler prepped the bare plaster with PVA as, where the new tiles meet the bare plaster walls, the plaster has a shine and feels a bit 'rubbery'. I've got to mist coat and then paint the untiled areas and I'm a bit worried about painting over the PVA from the point of view of adhesion of the paint and appearance.

Any way I can prep this to minimise potential problems? Or an I worrying uneccessarily?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
hot water and wide metal scraper, rub off the slime on a rag.

PVA is an unsuccessful surface to try to paint.

It softens and dissolves when wetted.

Thank you! I've just been reading about the perils of PVA and paint. After I've scraped off as much as I can, would it be worth using Zinsser BIN tp prime it? It's horribly expensive for such a small area but I'd rather only do the job once if possible!

you could, but try a scrubbing brush and detergent, and wiping off the foam before it soaks in, will be much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Zinsser is a good idea but my personal choice would be Zinsser Bullseye 123, being water based it might tend to soak into the water based residue of PVA a little better than BIN which is spirit based. Both excellent products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back