Pva nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm really after a bit of advice. I'm not a tradesperson.

My mum and dad have just had their bathroom plastered. The tiler asked my dad to pva ready for tiling. The thing is, my dad pva'd everywhere, including the ceiling! I have told him that the areas they want to paint now have a problem because the pva will stop the paint soaking into the wall and adhering properly.

Does anyone know how this problem can be sorted? Can the pva be sanded off?

Thanks ever so much

Westie

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how this problem can be sorted?
Rip the lot out and start again properly?

Although tiles can be fixed over plaster, it severely limits the maximum weight possible, so thick tiles can't be used.
Cement adhesives are generally incompatible with plaster so ready mixed types must be used, but they are only suitable for small tiles.
Plaster or plasterboard in wet areas such as showers will usually fail, even behind tiles.
PVA is totally unsuitable under any kind of tile adhesive or paint finish and should never be used.

The tiler asked my dad to pva ready for tiling.
Why would any tiler request that? Even if it was required, it would be expected that the person being paid for the job would also be the one doing it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back