Painting over PVA - not sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an odd problem in so much as it seems to contradict with what I have read in various threads that suggest a diluted PVA wash prior to emulsioning a newly plastered wall.

We have had a number of rooms replastered in our victorian property though by all accounts the plasterer went about it upside down. He plastered the walls first then the ceiling.

Problem is when doing the ceiling he splattered PVA all over the walls in blobs and streaks.

Now we have come to emulsion the walls we are finding that the emulsion (Johnson's Trade) is not sticking very well to the PVA splashes (or maybe it's just a case of it is soaking in well to the un-PVA'd plaster but not soaking in where the splashes are).
Even the second coat is not covering it very well either.
Am I doing anything wrong or should I have done something first to prep the wall or try to remove the PVA splashes.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Paint the splashed bits in oil based primer or undercoat.

Joe beat me again :cry: Your threads and your spread are wrong - Joe is right , again

...various threads that suggest a diluted PVA wash prior to emulsioning a newly plastered wall....
are there any threads that do not include the warning not to do it, because the paint will fall off? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Any blobs or streaks can be scraped off quite easily. Apply a coat of emulsion and it will soften the pva to the point where you can get rid of it with a sharp filling knife or chisel.

Your current paint build up should be sufficiently low enough to enable you lightly sand after with 180g silicone carbide and not have any visible step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back