pva

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
new to plastering . would like to know ratios for painted surfaces and old skimmed wallsplease. and how to measure ratios properly help please

Sponsored Links
If you prepping the wall to be plastered, most PVA's will come with instruction of the dilute ratio. But normally 3 to 4 water to 1 pva. To measure this will depend on the area you intend to work on. A plastic measuring jug or a cup will do the trick.
You apply two coats of PVA the first is left overnight to dry and the second is then applied and left to go tacky prior to plastering.
If you are prepping a wall to be painted using a water base paint, prime the wall with a solution of 4 paint to 1 water.

new to plastering . would like to know ratios for painted surfaces and old skimmed wallsplease. and how to measure ratios properly help please
hello daz why are you saying your new to plastering? its been like 2 years now since we first spoke anyways use a good quality pva like unibond or gripfill and you can pva the walls with 5-1 mix the first day (sealing coat) and on the day of skimming use a slightly thicker mix of 3-1 or 4-1 tacky coat, if plastering painted surfaces you could add a handfull of sand in the pva bucket this will provide a key for the skim not always necessary but is a cheap alternative to bonding agents, a word of advice dont use cheap pva and i just guestimate my pva gauges i dont use measuring jugs

A plastic measuring jug or a cup will do the trick.

Probably overkill here, but....
for the DIY small scale - I've found re-using one of the supermarket plastic soup pots quite useful. (Not the tiny ones that pasta sauces typically come in!)
Cleaned out etc and filled with water, then work out where 4:1, 3:1, 5:1 is and marked a line where PVA should come to (allowing for some mixing space)
Then you can put the lid back on & give it a shake. Found it easier than mixing in a tray etc.
They're always disposable as well when they get a bit mucky.

Sponsored Links
A plastic measuring jug or a cup will do the trick.

Probably overkill here, but....
for the DIY small scale - I've found re-using one of the supermarket plastic soup pots quite useful. (Not the tiny ones that pasta sauces typically come in!)
Cleaned out etc and filled with water, then work out where 4:1, 3:1, 5:1 is and marked a line where PVA should come to (allowing for some mixing space)
Then you can put the lid back on & give it a shake. Found it easier than mixing in a tray etc.
They're always disposable as well when they get a bit mucky.
your thinking about it to much diy theres nothing easier than putting a bit of pva in a bucket and putting the required amount of water in, you should be able to get it pretty much spot on by eye

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back