pvc cladding over wooden dormer roof??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cedar wood on our wooden dormer roof is looking drab and out of date now.
Question is can pvc cladding be fitted directly over the cedar wood or does it still have to have battening fitted??

Sponsored Links
You know the answer really don't you! What happens if/when the timber cladding rots and how do you expect to get an even finish to the pvc cladding when fixed to anything other than a flat sub frame, you still need battens.

You know the answer really don't you! What happens if/when the timber cladding rots and how do you expect to get an even finish to the pvc cladding when fixed to anything other than a flat sub frame, you still need battens.

The cedar wood was fitted in 1972 and hasnt rotted at all. It just looks crap and I dont want the 70's look anymore! It is a flat solid base. Is it not possible to clad directly over it?

Im no expert

Why not just give the existing cladding some TLC? A proper clean and a new layer of the right oil or similar could have it looking as good as new. Its a bad choice for a dormer as it needs regular maintenance to keep it looking nice. Whilst its lasted well and should have plenty more life left in it I don't think the Cedar will take too kindly to being hidden behind the PVC where the air can't/will have difficulty getting to it. Why are you adversed to removing it first? Shouldn't be too hard.

Sponsored Links
Why not just give the existing cladding some TLC? A proper clean and a new layer of the right oil or similar could have it looking as good as new. Its a bad choice for a dormer as it needs regular maintenance to keep it looking nice. Whilst its lasted well and should have plenty more life left in it I don't think the Cedar will take too kindly to being hidden behind the PVC where the air can't/will have difficulty getting to it. Why are you adversed to removing it first? Shouldn't be too hard.

it just looks so dull and dark. I prefer the white look of cladding i guess.
Does the exisiting wood need to have air to it if pvc cladding is fitted over?

Adding a layer of PVC to the outside will inevitably stop the cladding drying out should it ever get wet and reduce its lifespan. One could argue though that it won't get wet directly from rain but any moisture it absorbs through the atmosphere will inevitably take longer to leach out again. Timber does not last as long when damp. You may also have problems at the junctions where the cladding meets other materials like the cills etc so be sure to check that before you start cladding.

Tbh Cedar wood takes an eternity to rot. As long as it hasn't started to rot and there is no way it can get wet, it will be fine to over clad.

Ok thanks

Dont think i have much choice than to get a company in to advise and quote. Im trying to sel my house but people are put off by the dormer roof. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back