PVC Flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone heard of replacing lead flashing with PVC? My neighbour is putting in a loft extension and part of the work is to re-shingle his side of the roof.

The problem is currently our roof has lead flashing, but his builders are replacing it with a PVC-based model I think. I say think because my neighbour is out of the country and his builders don't speak a lot of English (ok -- any English)..

If this is indeed the case, do I have anything to worry about? Do I have any ability to say no to this, ie you replace the flashing with a similar product that was there before??

Thanks in advance everyone,

Geoffrey

Sponsored Links
It maybe something like Ubiflex or another brand which is fine, ok it won't last as long as lead (about 30 years) but isn't likely to go walkies in the middle of the night either.

If this is the case it shouldn't be an issue.

The one odd thing about the lead free products is that they are actually a bit more expensive than the lead it is replacing.

See if you can spot a brand name anywhere and if you post it I (or others) can let you know what they're putting in and it's suitability

The one odd thing about the lead free products is that they are actually a bit more expensive than the lead it is replacing.

Depends who you use.

Ubiflex is cheaper, Moniers Rapidflash is the same as Ubiflex price wise. We did have a rep in the other day with some stupidly priced crap, but sent him packing as soon as he mentioned the price.

Sponsored Links
We use similar stuff called Metaflash(i think thats what it is) its ok and works well, we fit it just the same as lead for flashings.
To be honest its more like glorified flashband with wire in it!
Cant beat the real thing!.
sure is right about the price though, although it tends to come in 10mtr lenghts.
The other thing is that lead prices are on there way down now,i cant see this stuff following.
Cheers
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back