Pvc Front Door Lock - HELP !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help? We lost our front door keys, while the door is locked, this was ok as we usually used our back door. So I did a bit of research online and decided to drill the lock to break the pins and unlock the door to get the lock out. However I started at 4mm working upto 6mm drill bit, and this still did not work, so in frustration I kept at it and I iad a screw driver inside it trying to turn the lock and the screwdrive broke inside the lock!!

So I started again on the outside this time working from 4 mm upto 10 mm, all the pins are broke but the lock still wont turn? It doesnt make sense to me that it wont release, anyone any ideas?

I am now considering taking the door off the hinges, the hinges are flag hinges and actually looks more complicated to get the hinges off than I thought?

Sponsored Links
do a search on here euro lock removal there are several posts, one of which might help

Wotan

I did that originally, and what lead me to trying to drill the lock out. I have drilled through all the pins but still doesnt work. Would it work if I drilled right through the lock?

I recollect that there is a long screw under the plate on the door edge, that goes through the lock, once removed, the lock should slide out, provided you can get the door open to gain access to the door edge.
removing the hinges, is one way of gaining access .

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Dont many UPVC doors have multi locking points, the ones activated by lifting the handle?

Remove the handles both sides, get a grip of the cylinder on both sides with mole grips. Both of you move the mole grips in oposite directions, the cylinder will snap in half as easy as you like.

You have drilled too far and snagged the cylinder/cam.
Snapping is your best chance if going DIY.
Try not to damage the lockcase as well.

Have tried snapping, and doesnt work, we have been trying snapping side to side, still wont break. Now thinking of removing the hinges, but even they look complicated lol. They are flag hinges? Does anyone know how to best remove these?

Have tried snapping, and doesnt work, we have been trying snapping side to side, still wont break. Now thinking of removing the hinges, but even they look complicated lol. They are flag hinges? Does anyone know how to best remove these?

Flag hinges can't be removed unless the door is open, if the cylinder is oval shape it cant be snapped if it is a euro lock (key shaped) then get a large adjustable spanner on one side of the cylinder with the handles removed and pull it in the direction of the hinged side with one fast sharp movement then back and it will snap!! Then use a small screwdriver to push out the other half of the lock if it hasn't dropped out already, there will probably be a cam left in the lock which u can fish out with the screwdriver. Now you have to put the screwdriver in the space the cylinder was towards the top and towards the face of the door u need to lift up the leaver and pull it back towards the hinges then put the handle on and pull down to open the door.

Ganerally thats correct but a oval CAN be snapped and it is not going to be an oval cylinder anyway.

Back to the quest...............stop fooking about to save a few pennies you are going to damage the lockcase if you carry on as you are. Pay for a local locksmith.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back