pvc v wood windows

oilman said:
Once the cuprinol has dried I've put tung oil on. You could probably mix it in and do it in one as well. Try phoning Liberon, their guy is very helpful. It probably does get affected by the sun, everything does, but another coat helps. It doesn't get bleached out as far as I know, but I might be wrong. It certainly improves things.

Oilman, you mention Liberon, but they are very expensive suppliers of tung oil. Can you suggest any other supplier in the UK ? (in the US, tung oil retails for about US$12/litre, Liberon is about £13.50/litre).

Sponsored Links
They do it in 4 or 5 litre cans as well, which is cheaper.

Does anybody know where I can buy Tung Oil ???

I'm not having much luck in my area and all the website links are all showing suppliers outside of the UK, unless I'm not trying hard enough !

If it come to it, I might have to nick one out of Oilman shed :eek: :)

Sponsored Links
It a good job you're back breezer :D

Oilman shed is now safe ;)

Oilman are you about :) or if anyone know,

I've just spent the last 6 days stripping the old dark brown paint of my mum's 2 bay window. I was shock, it is a beautiful teak windows and in very good condition and it's double glazed as well, I want to use tung oil on this to bring out the wood grain.

Is the tung oil just a natural colour only or has it got a slight colour in it ? The one I've seen on the website link by Breezer is a satin finish

I don't want to add a colour stain to make it darker because it's a beautiful colour wood now.

It's a natural colour, slightly amber. It won't really colour the wood you describe, just possibly change the reflections from the wood making it look more like fresh cut wood than the dried look. As for satin finish, this depends on the way you apply it and the number of coats and the wood.

One coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, one coat a month for a year......... well you might not be that enthusiastic. Cutting the oil with white spirit will make it penetrate more and give a more matt effect. I think the thinned coats are better, as you have to wipe off the excess or you get a sticky gum on the surface.

I looked up some info about tung oil the other day. It's spot price has doubled over the past couple of years, but that has meant that the Argentinians have an excuse for harvesting it. There's an annual harvest of about 35,000 tons world wide and last years Chinese crop was not good quality. (I wouldn't know how to tell good from bad). I think this means it will be an expensive oil until more producers grow it...so....everybody except me and masona, protection can be achieved by regular applications of used sump oil, available from garage workshops. :evil:

TungEagle said:
Oilman, you mention Liberon, but they are very expensive suppliers of tung oil. Can you suggest any other supplier in the UK ? (in the US, tung oil retails for about US$12/litre, Liberon is about £13.50/litre).
Cheaper to buy 5 litre which work out £9.98 per litre, got some from Breezer post (thanks, Breezer).

It's does work out a lot cheaper than paint and just done my mum's 2 big bay windows with 2 coats each (more coat to go on). I have only use less than 1 litre so far but bearing in mind cutting it with 50% white spirit. Like Oilman, I wish I known about years ago, it's so easy and to do the 2 bay window, it took me 25 minutes to do, now try doing that in painting !!!!

Thanks to Oilman for the advice.

I can't wait for my bay windows to fall out !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back