Fix or replace Alumminium/Wood windows? PVC criteria?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice about fixing/replacing my windows.

We have aluminium windows in a wooden frame in our house. They are probably 25 yrs old. There is mist in some of the windows and some of the wood particularly interior has rotted. Also with some of the windows the windows do not close fully either - theres a slight gap left which allows a little air in. Obviously because of these things the insulation is not working as it used to!

Apart from the mist they dont visibly look that bad from the outside and some people I've spoken to have suggested they are perfectly fine and the mist can be fixed by drying the condensation out, or replacing the glass pane.

But this would still mean fixing the wooden frames and fixing the gaps. So my first question is, is it worth fixing these windows or is it better to replace them?

(I think these sorts of windows look nicer then PVC, but I cant really afford to get new aluminium/wood windows.)

Secondly if I were to get PVC windows, does getting a FENSA registered company actually mean getting a quality made window?

What are the basic structural features I should ask about to ensure that I get a reasonable quality window. (I am happy with C rated windows. Just looking for reliability, strength and decent quality.)

Thirdly does anyone have any idea as to how much steel reinforcement should be present in the PVC windows? Is it only along the vertical sides of the frame?
(The windows will fit into a standard Victorian terraced house with a bay window.)

Theres a local company thats been around in london 20 yrs so I'm thinking of going with them. But they've said to me they only put some steel along the vertical sides. They said if they put more steel in then it affects the insulation of the window.

Thanks DIYers!

Sponsored Links
I need some advice about fixing/replacing my windows.

We have aluminium windows in a wooden frame in our house. They are probably 25 yrs old. There is mist in some of the windows and some of the wood particularly interior has rotted. Also with some of the windows the windows do not close fully either - theres a slight gap left which allows a little air in. Obviously because of these things the insulation is not working as it used to!

Apart from the mist they dont visibly look that bad from the outside and some people I've spoken to have suggested they are perfectly fine and the mist can be fixed by drying the condensation out, or replacing the glass pane.

But this would still mean fixing the wooden frames and fixing the gaps. So my first question is, is it worth fixing these windows or is it better to replace them. At the moment I think its better to replace them. The cost of fixing will probably work out similar to getting some replacement PVC ones. What do you think?

(I think these sorts of windows look nicer then PVC, but I cant really afford to get new aluminium/wood windows.)

Secondly if I were to get PVC windows, does getting a FENSA registered company actually mean getting a quality made window? What are the basic structural features I should ask about to ensure that I get a reasonable quality window. (I don't want to get the most expensive one and am happy with C rated windows. Just looking for reliability, strength and decent quality.)

Thirdly does anyone have any idea as to how much steel reinforcement should be present in the PVC windows? Is it only along the vertical sides of the frame?
The windows will fit into a standard Victorian terraced house with a bay window.

Theres a local company thats been around in london 20 yrs so I'm thinking of going with them. But they've said to me they only put some steel along the sides. They said if they put more steel in then it affects the insulation of the window.

Thanks DIYers!
They are correct. if the windows are white and the profile is decent quality then they won't need the outer frame reinforced (under a certain size!) We only reinforce outer frames any height or width over 1.5 metres in white, fully reinforce all foiled windows and reinforce triple glazed windows - or unless we feel necessary based on the application.Don't know about FENSA registered company being a sure sign of good quality window, i'm in Scotland where FENSA doesn't apply. Someone else on here can tell you about that.

Thanks 'The Bullet'!:)
I became concerned because when I went to this local window company's shop they had some samples outside, but some of the large windows were actually lighter then the smaller ones, so I began to wonder which quality of window I would getting.

When I asked about this the owner said they only put steel where necessary and only along the vertical sides. I guess the heavier window must be for a different type to what they produce normally. But I began wondering if the windows would be that strong if the steel is only on the vertical sides.

I have seen on the internet that some companies do put steel within the whole frame - including encased within the top horizontal part of the frame - I guess they do this more where stronger windows are required.

FENSA simply means that they can self certify their products meet building regs and is no guarantee of quality.

Sponsored Links
Hi chippie244! Thanks for your feedback. I guess I should ask to see a few houses done by the window company. That will at least show me the quality of the finish.

But if I get to see a sample of a window is there anything I can look out for that will indicate the quality of the frame? (maybe its weight, or its locking mechanism?)

I thought all windows were pretty much made in the same way, but now I'm wondering if that is the case.

But does a window need to have much reinforcement for an average terraced house?

Hi chippie244! Thanks for your feedback. I guess I should ask to see a few houses done by the window company. That will at least show me the quality of the finish.

But if I get to see a sample of a window is there anything I can look out for that will indicate the quality of the frame? (maybe its weight, or its locking mechanism?)
Internal beads and stay away from companies that produce windows that have mechanically joined transoms or mullions, make sure everything is welded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back