Seals Missing

jam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Approx 5 yrs ago i had pvc double glazing installed to the back of the house from a local company,i requested that i wanted it internally glazed.The company no longer exists.
The problem is that the pane of glass in the frame is misting due to broken down seal.It started with 1 window and now 3 windows.
I had a closer look at the window from outside and inside and noticed that there was no seal on the outside of the window or beading,what the company did is reverse the window so the beading was on the inside and the foam part which you stick to the frame on the outside ,therefore exposing more rain to it .
Is there any such method of fixing this problem, such as some form of beading or is it a matter of replacing all the windows.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
no idea what so ever, but you could ask another window company for advice < (then a 2nd to see what the 1st is saying is true)

Jam, you do appreciate that having the glazing foam gasket on the outside has nothing to do with the glass units misting-up don't you? The way your post reads looks like you may not?

Hello
To shaggy when you mention Foam Gasket is it some form of seal on the outside to prevent the rain water from seeping through,or is it the same double sided foam strip which is used to stick the pane of glass on the inside.
Correct me if im wrong i thought that misting was due to broken down seal on the perimeter of the pane of glass hence causing the problem,also is it a possibility that the fitters did not use glazing blocks on the inside frame or used the wrong type.

Sponsored Links
That's right; the misting of the glass unit is because the seal between the 2 panes has failed. The way I read your original post I thought you were saying this was linked to the rain on the glazing foam gasket?
I've never seen a foam gasket on the outside myself but any rain that does get through should drain away to the outside through slots in the pvc frame. When you say 'glazing blocks' do you mean the spacer bar that separates the panes of glass? I don't know why some units fail, often after several years, except that the bond between the glass and spacer bar must allow moisture through.

Glazing blocks are used on the inside of the frame so the pane of glass sits on the glazing blocks and not directly on the frame this is to allow rain water to run under the glass and to prevent any water coming in contact with the pane of glass to avoid seal breakdown,the only type of glazing blocks that should be used are the "Bridge Type".

Thanks

Ok, but I call those spacers. The glazing unit is always smaller than the frame for expansion so the unit will have to sit on spacers to make it look right in the frame. The spacer bar between the two panes should look equally spaced from the frame edge on all sides. I can't imagine anyone sitting the glazing unit straight on the frame?

Sometime the rubber seal are the wrong thickness therefore not pushing the glass and spacer bar together tight enough. In theory the glass unit shouldn't come apart on it own to let in mositure but having the right size beading prevent the glass opening for misting problem or the glass unit wasn't sealed properly in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back