UPVC Windows - are they securely fitted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We recently changed all our doors and windows to UPVC. It was done by a well known company.

They did a very professional job, but one thing which worries me on all windows and doors the double glazing was fixed from the outside into the frame and not from the inside. Which means after they fix the frame, they removed the beading from the outside rather than inside to place the glass inside the frame. Than they locked it, I asked them about this as it will not be secured anybody with a pocket knife can remove the beading and remove the glass and jump in.

For this what they told was the inside beading as a double sided sticker which sticks the glass to the inside of the beading and even though some one takes the beading out they will not be able to remove the glass as the beading is stuck tightly.

I was not convinced at all but still they finished the job and left, even one of my friend who visited me raised the same question as this is just pure common sense.

Now can somebody help me on this, is this type of fixing common and if so is it safe where anyone as access to the beading which can be lifted easily.

Pls help

thx

Sponsored Links
i would say its the old style of beaded windows are externally beaded not very burglar proof , yes glass can be taken out even with double side tape on , all windows ive fitted are internally beaded, come on what the firm called

Sorry to say but you certainly haven't got a top product if its externally beaded, thought no one did them anymore. Anyway, you'll have security tape by the sound of it, its basically a double side spongy tape, like a stick on draught excluder, this prevents the glass being pulled out in the event a burglar gets the beads out, in the past i have had to remove the glass from security tape but the site manager supervised to confirm i didn't go in the house (home owner not in), it can be done but i won't divulge on a public forum.

What you have been told is correct though,you are not being fobbed off, security tape is for externally glazed windows

Thanks very much for your replies. I have contacted the company as always they give so many reasons and tell me that I have signed the surveyor sheet. The surveyor didn't even mention a word about this. How should I be knowing anyway I am waiting for their reply. In case they are not bulging I am taking them to consumers direct. I will reveal the company name then....
thanks...

Sponsored Links
external glazing is very common and is not insecure if done right.
the glass is very hard to remove even with someone on the inside cutting the tape.
some systems have a wedge gasket on the inside that needs to be removed first.
do not worry yourself about it if the tape has been used.

as far as i can tell the whole internal glazing thing is more of an attempt by some firms to differentiate their product.

Hi Thanks for the confidence, till now I was speaking with the company but they didnt budge they even blamed me as being on the fault side. I spoke with the sales director who was a useless guy. They asked me for additional £625 to replace the panels to accommodate internal glazing. The company is crystal glazing and I would never recommend them to anyone and will also warn anyone who wants to install through them.

3 questions I've always asked when ordering windows:
1. Are they internally glazed?
2. Do they have trickle vents fitted?
3. Will they all have the same key?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back