Help with windows and doors - beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My doors and windows have arrived with the glass panes separately. After installing the frames in the cavities I installed the glass. There are beadings that must be removed in order to fit the glass from the inside. To remove the beadings I used the chisel/knife by pushing the beading inwards revealing a tiny gap to fit the blade in, and then pulling trying very, very hard not to damage the frame.

Once the beads were out, I inserted the glass, and then tried to put the beads back on. But they would not go in until and unless hit really, really hard. Mallets of different sizes, block of wood etc Really, really hard. I even used fairy liquid.

On all the youtube videos, the fitter uses a small, laughable little mallet, and very gently puts the beads in.

Am I missing something obvious? I have already broken 2 beads, and now I must remove them all, to fit the glass properly, and I think with the glass in place they will never ever come out!

Sponsored Links
A picture if the end of a bead would help, there are tons of variations of beads and how they locate, knowing which you have is impossible

I hate beads but there is a knack to getting beads in.

I've always covered in masking.
Put one end in. Used rubber mallet to clip in at end.
Then bent other end in if fitting in joint.
Then tap in .

The problem is how the bead fits. If you don't have it correct no amount of hitting will get it in.
Needs to sit correctly and will go in easy. I suspect this is where your going wrong as I have done.
The way you think is correct ready to clip in is not correct hence the trouble

Also if there's any dirt in the groove it won't go in

20230124_120340.jpg

Sponsored Links
The problem is *taking them out* in order to reposition the glass panes. I cannot even take one off to take a photo!

If I try to use the quarter moon knife, chisel or spade, as the manufacturer suggested, I am injuring the frame, which cannot be repaired. I have a dozen different knives / chisels, but it is so firmly attached it is impossible to remove!

Tomorrow it will be angle grinder time, I will cut one along the length and then pull it away will pliers. Once one bead is out I hope to find purchase to remove the rest without going anywhere near the door frame.

Start in the middle to get out. Not the ends.

I took some photos today, it was a bit dark inside, hope you can see the beads. On the close up photo you may be able to see how I have damaged the frame and the bead by trying to prise the bead out using the chisel/knife. On another photo you can see how I broke one bead by tapping it too hard, but there is no other way it might go in!

Attachments

• 20230128_135408_s.jpg
    20230128_135408_s.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230128_135358_s.jpg
    20230128_135358_s.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230128_135344_s.jpg
    20230128_135344_s.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230128_135322_s.jpg
    20230128_135322_s.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230128_135313_s.jpg
    20230128_135313_s.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 52
Ah Eurocell, never struggled with Eurocell, assuming the glass units are the correct thickness and thats probably 28mm are you sure your hitting them correctly and down vertically and not diagnolly

Aha yes. Inserting the beads is a pain, NOTHING like you see on youtube, they require very strong tapping.

For example on this video, it must be fake.

Our beads, on two doors and two windows, require 50lb sledge hammer action to go in.

And removing the beads, as I said, impossible. Which makes sense, as it took so much force to go in.

Last edited:
On this video here he struggles, starts at 1:30, but eventually the bead does move - quite unlike mine which behaves as if it were super glued on :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back