Replacing a window frame with a pvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on how to put in a new pvc window. The frame i have at the moment is wood and I have bought 2 pvc windows off the shelf at B & Q, they are the right size give or take 2cm at the side, but having never done it before don't know where to start.

Will the window have screws in the packaging ?? If not what do I need to get ???

How to you fix the window to the brick work on the side where the window doesn't open ?? ( the frame is split into 2 one side opens the other doesn't )

Do you just pack with foam and then silicone to make water proof ???

Many Thanks

Cheryl

P.S. Any handy hints on getting the old frame out and glass without chopping my hands to peices..................lol

Sponsored Links
2 cm is rather a lot of clearance for a replacement UPVC frame! If you’re doing a DIY installation, replacement windows have to be notified to your local Council Building Control dept. who will inspect that the windows comply with the relevant standards (shouldn’t be a problem) & that installation is acceptable. There will charge you a fee to inspect & will issue you with a conformance certificate; without this certificate you could have problems when you come to sell the house. I’m assuming the property is yours! if not you should not proceed without permission from your landlord.

To get the old timber frame out break the glass (unavoidable), remove any opening windows, cut through each side of the frame with an old saw & jemmy the old bits of frame vertically away from the brickwork; wear some thick garden gloves & safety goggles. There are references to a couple of detailed guides on the forum (do a search) but, basically, you need to use through fixings, length 2 ½ to 3 times the frame thickness & the number you need depends on the window size (remember this is a big factor for your security); I’ve no idea if they come with B&Q windows. The glazing has to be removed to fix the window frames in place, once installed the glazing is re-fitted. You must use tight fitting packers either side of each fixing or you will distort the frame & with a 2cm gap, I would advise you use expanding foam to fill that gap! Run a bead of low modulus silicone all around the outside of the frame but with a 1cm gap, your going to need a lot of it! Stick some UPVC quadrant around the exterior of the frame to finish off & hide that gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back