Q for WoodYouLike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just doing a self build and wish to lay solid Oak floors in two rooms,
After reading this forum and your many knowledgable replies, am I correct in thinking that I can lay 50mm kingspan insulation over a concrete sub floor [with a dpm under the Kingspan] then lay the T&G flooring over this with the joints glued,[as a floating floor] leaving a 10mm gap all round the edge for expansion, if so would it be better to lay plywood over the insulation first ??if so what thickness would you recommend, should the boards also be cramped up before glueing???
Sorry for so many questions but I need to get it right.

Sponsored Links
Hi

As long your subfloor is level there's no problem in installing the wood floating ont the insulation. With solid flooring it's better to leave 15mm expansion gaps.

What's the thickness and width of the boards?

Question for you. We're no self-builders ;) Why are you using kingspan as underlayment, for regulations?

Hi
Thanks for your reply, yes it is to comply with regs, what did you think regarding ply over the insulation and cramping/clamping boards together as I lay them,[I have not purchased the boards yet] any comments ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We're not that familiar with Kingspan, but I've found their website. One of the types does not require any other sub - material on top, but I'm not sure those are the boards you plan to buy?

About clamping the wood boards: when you lay the first two to three rows (glueing the T&G completely) you could clamp it, we normally don't and just have a tea or coffee break so the boards and glue can settle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back