Q, re Boiler and CH settings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant ECOTEC Plus 418 bolier that operates both my CH and HW in an open vent system.
There are two dials on the boiler: one for HW (with a HW tank) and one for CH. Only the CH dial runs and operates BOTH, whilst the HW dial is switched off for reasons of something else not fitted or needed.

My question is: although BOTH the HW and CH have separate thermostats (one on the HW tank and the other to control the room temperature fitted in the hallway) which setting is ideal on the boiler dial? as this can be turned to OFF or FULL ON in a clockwise motion.?
Excuse my ignorance.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The boiler water temperature needs to be at least 10C higher than the temperature setting on the hot water cylinder thermostat otherwise the system will take a long time to totally heat up the water in the cylinder.

55C at the cylinder thermostat and 65C at the boiler is a good compromise to give a safe supply of domestic hot water and to keep the boiler running reasonably efficiently.

[ In a system with the full Vaillant kit with independent control of DHW and Heating water temps you would probably have the DHW temp higher than this and the Heating temp lower, depending on the weather.]

The boiler water temperature needs to be at least 10C higher than the temperature setting on the hot water cylinder thermostat otherwise the system will take a long time to totally heat up the water in the cylinder.

55C at the cylinder thermostat and 65C at the boiler is a good compromise to give a safe supply of domestic hot water and to keep the boiler running reasonably efficiently.

[ In a system with the full Vaillant kit with independent control of DHW and Heating water temps you would probably have the DHW temp higher than this and the Heating temp lower, depending on the weather.]

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back