Quango Watch

J

JMLanders

Here's one that's on its way out- the General Teaching Council

My teacher friend tells me that this "costs" him about £33 or so, mandatorily taken from his pay each year, and repaid to him(sometimes on the same pay slip). Because this repayment counts as part of his gross pay, he then gets taxed on it :rolleyes:

For this money, the GTC does sweet FA. It has nothing to do with inspecting schools (Ofsted and HMI cover that), not pay awards (independent bodies deal with that), nor offer any professional help (the Unions cover that).

The joys of Quangos.

Anyone else know of any complete and utter waste of time, money and effort bodies setup for the sole purpose of, well, I don't really know. :confused:

Sponsored Links
looking forward to seeing the back of SEEDA in our area...

Linky

Mind you, note the irony of the following from that article:

“No elected politician would get away with this and there is no reason why obscure, unelected, unaccountable officials should either,”

?? can you clarify that? if 33 is deducted as a subscription, you have already paid tax on that amount. as a professional subscription you should be able to claim back the tax on it.
if 33 is then repaid to you how come you pay tax on it again? (i can see how it would show as gross)
if you pay tax on the first 33, then tax again on 33, you have membership for the cost of the tax on 66. thats cheap.
Or am i barking up the wrong bush?
Or just barking?
woof woof

'barking up the wrong bush'

in the interests of protecting intellectual property and to avoid accusations of plagiarism the above phrase is duly attributed to Blas

nearly fell off my perch when he threw that one in, some time ago, just before some pill*ck posted a thread entitled 'fancy a sh*g?

Sponsored Links
?? can you clarify that? if 33 is deducted as a subscription, you have already paid tax on that amount. as a professional subscription you should be able to claim back the tax on it.
if 33 is then repaid to you how come you pay tax on it again? (i can see how it would show as gross)
if you pay tax on the first 33, then tax again on 33, you have membership for the cost of the tax on 66. thats cheap.
Or am i barking up the wrong bush?
Or just barking?
woof woof
They take 33 off the gross originally, then tax you the rest as per normal. They then, later, reimburse you the 33 which you then pay tax on as part of your gross for the month. Or something like that anyway. :confused:

The issue is that (tax apart), it doesn't cost him a penny to be a member of the GTC (which he has to be a member of it he is to be employed as a teacher), but it has to be seen that he has paid his subscription.

Bottom line is that the GTC is to cease to be. He seems happy with that :!:

nearly fell off my perch when he threw that one in, some time ago, just before some pill*ck posted a thread entitled 'fancy a sh*g?
Flicking back several pages of posts before coming across that, the way it seems to me as a newbie and outsider is that it was in response to what may have been construed as an absurd level of flirting with your fine self as the main culprit. Although none of us can be sure, it wouldn't surprise me if he felt that your efforts were puerile and pitiful, in a warm, endearing and yet peculiarly sad fashion.

It is a pity that this "Decks" is no longer permitted to be a part of the forum - he certainly seems to have been a bit of a cheeky chappie.

Sponsored Links
Back