The Truth Really Does Hurt!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taken directly from news feed word for word:

Tory leader Michael Howard has reportedly handed back half a million pounds to the Conservatives' biggest donor, Lord Ashcroft.

The Sunday Times says the cash was returned after the peer warned the party was heading for another General Election defeat.

The paper also reports he could now call in loans worth millions.

The businessman apparently confronted party co-chairman Lord Saatchi with "evidence" that the Conservatives were facing another poll disaster.

A friend told the paper: "Lord Ashcroft has been advised that the party will lose the election.

"He's been saying it very, very actively, and they don't like having people around who tell the truth."

With an election expected on May 5, the Tories are still £5m short of the £25m they need for their fighting fund.

Lord Ashcroft apparently pledged a six-figure sum for the war chest last month.

But The Sunday Times says a similar sum was repaid to him at a private dinner 10 days ago.

Party officials have suggested they were simply repaying a loan early, but a spokesman refused to comment.

Lord Ashcroft kept the Tories afloat with a series of seven-figure gifts after John Major's defeat in 1997 and was awarded a peerage in 2000 by William Hague.

Shadow work and pensions secretary David Willetts told Sky News' Sunday with Adam Boulton: "I don't believe that Michael Ashcroft has asked for any money back.

"As to exactly what financial transactions have taken place, I don't know."

He added that he had seen Mr Ashcroft "supporting the party" at fund-raising events in the past week.
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

This isn't labour making these statements but the biggest donator to the tory party so we know where his allegiance lies, so if one of their biggest supporters makes these claims then there must be something in it.
I particularly liked the bit about the tories not liking anyone telling the truth, yep that just about sums them up as the party of deceit,and hype.
It also seems he has now fallen out of favour, after his money had bought him a peerage, so a word of warning to others stupid enough to donate money to the tories, pay your money but don't have an opinion that doesn't fit in with the party's as once they have used you and abused you, they will dispose of you. :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
This isn't labour making these statements but the biggest donator to the tory party

Really? Let's read what the news feed says:

A friend told the paper:

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Note to mod: can we have an emoticon for shoving the tongue behind the bottom lip and going "nuuuuuuurrrrrrr!", please? ;)

AdamW said:
This isn't labour making these statements but the biggest donator to the tory party

Really? Let's read what the news feed says:

A friend told the paper:

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Note to mod: can we have an emoticon for shoving the tongue behind the bottom lip and going "nuuuuuuurrrrrrr!", please? ;)
Yes a friend of Lord Ashcroft! notice he isn't denying anything so make your own minds up i'd say.

OK, so who is this friend of Ashcroft? Unless they actually name someone, it can be totally made up. I notice it doesn't actually quote Ashcroft himself either. So how can he deny something that hasn't even been allegedly said?

Come on Ken, surely you know never to trust anything unless you are sure of the source. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
OK, so who is this friend of Ashcroft? Unless they actually name someone, it can be totally made up. I notice it doesn't actually quote Ashcroft himself either. So how can he deny something that hasn't even been allegedly said?

Come on Ken, surely you know never to trust anything unless you are sure of the source. :LOL:
Then he should deny the existence of this friend which so far he hasn't, as i said make up your own mind.
One good point you made is about the source, lots of statistics have been made about this and that but when they quote the source they should also quote the backer of the survey, you may be surprised who that is in a lot of cases, so again i say statistics and surveys are meaningless as they can be manipulated to suit whoever commissions them.

I've got no idea when that news feed came out, was it today? In which case he hasn't really had much chance to say anything about it... He's a Lord, he probably doesn't work most weekdays let alone on a Sunday! :LOL:

As has been described by someone else here the other day, journalists can write total bo**ocks in the correct fashion and then it isn't libellous. Maybe this news story is true, who knows. We don't, not from what has been written in that article, anyway. :D

In the tabloids, a juicy story often carries the line, "A by-stander saw XXXXXXXXXXXX in a compromising position.........."

(Where XXXXXXXXX is a celeb name).

In this situation, "A by-stander" usually means the hack or photographer...

He's had plenty of time now to say something, perhaps he wants to keep it under wraps until after the election? after all he doesn't want to make it any worse for the tories. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back