quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have quarry tiles in the lounge of our project house. i want to have laminate flooring.

1900 house. no DPM tiles onto lime mortar/ earth.

tiles are solid and flat.

no damp in the floor, but i think that is because it can "breathe" at the moment.

any constructive advise welcome.

i was considering self leveler .

Sponsored Links
Must be freezing underfoot. The right way is to dig it up and lay a proper floor, dpm insulation, concrete. Anything else is a bodge.

If you are going to dig it up and the tiles are in good condition, they may have a resale value.
Check with a reclamation yard, or even try something like ebay.

thanks.

the bodge has worked well for over 100 years.

i am not aware of a requirement to bring the floor to meet current BR.

I am looking for a solution that would work, not neccessairily changing the house specs to meet new build standards.

Sponsored Links
no damp in the floor, but i think that is because it can "breathe" at the moment.

As soon as you 'seal' it with anything you will prevent it breathing and will cause problems.
If you're going to seal it you'll need a dpm and sufficient depth of covering to maintain that dpm.
But the tiles may move slightly and the dpm, and the covering, will not be reliable.

You could end up with something like this:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=262890

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back