Quartz Hearth installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've removed an old brick fireplace. The inside of the chimney breast has been plastered. I'm putting in an electric stove (Dimplex piermont to be exact) on top of a solid piece of Quartz which I've had cut into a T shape so it fits into the chimney breast nicely.

My question is about installing the Quartz Hearth onto the concrete underneath. I was thinking of just laying it on a bed of mortar. I'm assuming the mortar will bond fine to quartz, or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
If you definately want it to bond then paint the back of the stone with a slurry made up of sbr and cement.

Its murder to clean off anything though so be careful with it.

Thanks for the reply. What's the alternative to bonding? My plan is to sit it on a bed of mortar and then clear any mortar out around the edges leaving a 1cm approx lip so that I can tuck the carpet under it. I'll have it around 1cm high off the floor too.

Cheers
Jon

Sponsored Links
It probably doesn't need to bond as long as its fully supported.

Quartz has very low suction which is why a normal mortar bed won't 'stick' to it without a little help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back