Quartz Work-top

Sponsored Links
keep hot sugar away from it.

i kid you not, on cookers with quartz tops often people making jam would forget it and some would boil over the pan, the hot jam then eats through the quartz.

yep.

i used to work for HP. when i first started training i was with an engineer , we had to go to a cooker (i never did do cookers) we put the new top on it and all was well, i looked at the old one and it had small hole i asked what caused that, the customer said jam, the enginner confirmed it later
its also in the owners manual

Sponsored Links
Cookers with quartz tops? What are they then?
I've heard of quartz grills and quartz lamps - but not quartz cooker tops. I know glass is made from quartz - but that's a bit different.

The temperature resistance of quartz composite worktops is variously quoted as being 200 - 250 degrees C ... so prolonged exposure to hot jam might be a disaster but I can't see a few dollops being much of a problem. Most of the suppliers say that hot pans can be rested on the surface for short periods but to be careful with pans with oil in them (which can get very hot) and to use a trivet. Granite suppliers say the same thing ... the risk is mostly from temperature shock ... causing cracking.

All 30mm quartz composite worktops are made on the same type of enormous machine - the Breton Machine, made by a company in Italy - so there are only a few actual manufacturers, in a few countries (notably Spain, Italy, Portugal, Israel and the USA - there isn't one in the UK). There are slight differences in the proportion of quartz used and in the composition of the resin ... and hence in the prices.

Silestone is the biggest player (being No.1 in both Spain and the USA); is the only one that uses antibacterial Microban in the mix ... and tends to be the most expensive. On a like for like basis quartz composite is about the same price as a good quality granite ... so more expensive than many granites.

From a purely practical point of view, I'd say that quartz composite worktops are superior to granite ... especially if you want a pale colour (where the absorbency of granite can be a problem).

Quartz is more resilient than granite - because of the slight flexibility of the epoxy resins used - so you can use longer thinner pieces without the risk of breaking and you can use larger unsupported overhangs.

The main disadvantage is in the appearance. Granite lovers would say that quartz worktops look plasticy ... they don't have the complexity of appearance of granite with the different depths of crystal and the veining.

Cookers with quartz tops? What are they then?
I've heard of quartz grills and quartz lamps - but not quartz cooker tops. I know glass is made from quartz - but that's a bit different.

I also came to that conclusion but grabbing samples friday. Good point about antibacterial but had a tiled surface for last 5 years and not gone down with anything - and they are worst for harbouring nasties in the grout !

Thanks for a full answer though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back