Quartz worktop support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

I need to cut out the front rail of a 900mm drawer unit to allow for a hob to fit.
I am having 30mm quartz so I presume I need to support the quartz due to the 900mm span.
Anyone got any suggestions how I could do this?

Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20220122_203136324.jpg
    PXL_20220122_203136324.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
Really poor kitchen design, normally put a hob over 600unit and ideally not draws.
If you must cut out of front rail should be a small as possible .Have seen steel reinforcement brackets in 600mm units not for a 900mm . You might be able to reinforce with angle to rail but hobs if not sealed will leak into draws and create a mess.

Agreed. A narrow strip of 18mm MFC will have insufficient stiffness to support the worktop and hob, especially over such a length.

in fact the OP might be better off removing the front bearer completely, getting someone to weld him a couple of flat steel plates onto the end of off the shelf 50 x 25mm steel tube (or at a pinch 25 x 25mm), spray painting that white and fitting it across the front of the cabinet in place of the bearer. Overall length would probably need to be 864mm (assuming 18mm thick carcassing): 860mm for the tube length plus two 2mm thick mounting plates.

Maybe I'm fortunate, but in this area we have quite a few sheet metal fabricators, structural steel fabricators, agricultural engineers and small garages who also do bodywork repairs - all the sort of business who'll do that sort of small work, often for little money

Base Cabinet 900mm 50 x 25 brace 01.jpg

Base Cabinet 900mm 50 x 25 brace 02.jpg

And to think there was a recent thread which asked how useful welding is for DIY...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Nice. I haven't seen those pre-made before - always had to weld my own in the past.

Edit: When I got into work this morning I had a chat with one of the lads who has granite worktops in his kitchen. He told me that he has a steel bar across the front of the 600mm unit that the hob sits in. It was supplied by the granite fitters. He reckons it was fabricated for the job. Having checked I found that AEG supply face mounted bars in a limited range of widths

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back