Query on using Garage consumer unit to supply conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My main house 10 way split consumer unit, 100A main with with an 80A RCD which supplies power and lighting to my garage. Our house is a large 4 bedroom detatched.

The garage consumer unit has which has a 100A main with a 16A and 6A MCB for lighting and 3 double 3 amp sockets with an outside 13amp weatherproof socket.

My main household CU is full to capacity and due to it's location cannot be upgraded unless our new 2yr kitchen is dismantled and this is a disruption we want to avoid.

My query is can the garage CU be upgraded to supply another consumer unit for a conservatory that we intend to have built which wil supply power for the following below. I've been told by a few local electricians that this could be done but I want to make sure as I'm a bit sceptical os any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The conservatory will have no more than 4 double 13amp sockets, 1 outside weatherproof socket, 1 fused spur for an electrical roof vent opening and 3 lights.

Also we will be seeking power for underfloor heating which for the size of our conservatory would require a 16A or 32A power supply

In the future and if finances allow we would also hope to have a hot tub which I'm told will require a 16A or 20A power supply.

W

Sponsored Links
You can forget the hot tub and quite likely the UFH too, look in the house consumer unit and see what rating the MCB / fuse is that is feeding the garage board. The selected breakers in the garage board may mean there is only a 20A supply there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back