Query Worcester 30CDi System installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new WB 30CDi System boiler installed as part of a solar HW installation, along with an unvented thermal store. Everything was installed by suitably qualified personnel. But I am not 100% sure about the installation.
The boiler is controlled by the main power feed, i.e. when the thermostat asks for heat it turns the power to the boiler on, and the reverse when the thermostat has reached the required temperature. I don't understand how the boiler can possibly be functioning at is optimum if it has to go through it's self test routine whenever the stat kicks in.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for for your quick reply. Yes I quite agree, I have looked at the installation instructions myself and came to the same conclusion. Although I haven't opened the case and studied the wiring setup. I think that the installer chose to use the power supply to control the boiler as it reduced the amount of cabling required. I am a bit annoyed to say the least about this, as the installtion is supposed to save me money, I now believe that I will need to get an independent gas fitter to have a look at the installation and get his opinion. I have double checked the gas fitters certificate with gasafe(Corgi) and that is fine. But I think the final wiring layout was provided by the Solar fitter. The gas engineer was subcontracted by the Solar fitter. he is also supposed to be fully qualified and experienced.
I have just this minute spoken to tech support at Worcester-Bosch, they were very helpful. They also confirmed my fears that the boiler has been incorrectly installed. The worrying thing is that he told me that the PCB is in danger from the continuous shocking, also, a lot of the features provided in the design will not work at all, such as frost protection, heat and water boost and pump protection.
It's fairly clear that the installer didn't know what he was doing, I will be getting touch with him, as soon as WB send the wiring diagram of the setup that should have been used.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like the switched live has been wired direct to the permanent live for the boiler.

Strangely I have come across this several times lately with different makes of boiler.

The boiler should have a permanent live to control the electronics and a switched live for heating/HW demand from external controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back