Question about bath overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new bath retainer and plug and filled the bath to make sure the overflow worked OK with no leaks etc.

Got me thinking though that the bath was filling quicker than the overflow could funnel water away. Now I don't plan on flooding the bathroom anytime soon but this is just a question to satisfy my curiosity more than anything. What is the purpose of the overflow if the bath still overflows anyway?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there is no standard for regulating the amount of water an overflow can cope with. I suppose it would depend on the amount of time it takes to fill the bath. But try out the overflow in your sink and basin and they probably will not cope.

Whilst the overflow on baths is partly to ensure that a bath left running will not overlow (albeit if the taps are fully on I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't manage to prevent such a flood) I think it is also there to assist in preventing water spilling over the side of the bath when displaced by the person getting in it.

Just my tuppence worth.

:)

In the old day, the overflow used to run from cast iron bath to outside wall and just stick out like a cistern overflow, 1 inch copper pipe were used. That can cope with fully open taps. Nowadays it all plastic and too small.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Aye int old days we used ter after break t ice int bath befo we gorrin.
That's when women ad airy backs an baths dint ave owerfows.
I hope this helps.
Jeff

Aye int old days we used ter after break t ice int bath befo we gorrin.
That's when women ad airy backs an baths dint ave owerfows.
I hope this helps.
Jeff

You had a bath? Luxury....

We had to use the big sink.

Bit like Albert Steptoe but without the packet of Flash.......

:D

Thanks for responses guys. It was just something that left me a bit baffled but I think belboz may have a point in that it may be more for when someone is in the bath to stop spillage overboard. For there is no way it would stop a bathroom flooding. I only tested this with one tap running on full and it failed. With two taps? Doesn't bear thinking about.

Its for when you are doing that sliding backwards and forwards on your ars* maneouver trying to get the waves as close to the rim as possible :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back