question about plumbing part for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First of all I would like to apologise for not knowing any technical terms or names of all the parts involved in this query. I hope I can describe it well enough for you to know what I'm talking about.

I'm about to install a thermostatic shower with exposed valve and rigid riser. The shower came with two offset adapters for hot & cold taps, threaded at both ends to fit the 15mm elbow tap connectors I've fitted to the pipes and the 18mm shower valve at the other end.

This is my first attempt at a job of this nature and I've misjudged the depth of the pipe chases literally by less than 1cm.

My question is to do with this part (the name of it would be helpful for future reference!), and more generally about threaded parts - can they be cut down to size if they protrude from the wall too much without damaging the thread? If so, what tool would be best for the job? If it's quite involved, a full description would be helpful please because, as I said, this is my first attempt.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
so whats happening the mixer not siting close enough to wall on the fixing mount ?

is this not a nut/olive fixing to the pipes

Yes, that's right. There's no way I can tighten it more because the mixer valve has a thread of less than 1/2" as well as a thick washer in there and the thread of the offset connector is just over 1/2", so I'm wanting to know if it's possible to cut down the thread so the mixer valve can meet the wall.

its abit hit an miss as you got to get it flat and not damage the thread so the nut won't screw on.
not something i've tried on a shower before.

Just another pic of the actual connecting bit I'm referring to..

What would I use to cut it?
Or if not cut it, then do you know if these parts come any smaller than 1 3/4" long? if it was closer to 1 1/2" long, it would do the job. Or perhaps even a straight reducing fitting if such a thing exists without the 'offset' bit in the middle?[/img]

have you already fit all the pipes and the doglegs in the wall and tiled ?

Unfortunately, yes. If absolutely necessary, I can remove the 2 tiles and make the pipe recesses a bit deeper, but that would be a last resort if I can't find a better part or successfully modify the part I have.

at a last resort if i was going to cut them i would cut the 1/2" end as that don't need a flat surface to seal it when screwed in the wall fitting.
as the shower end needs a flat surface for the rubber seal.

but then you would still have to remove them from the wall

At the moment, I can get a tool in behind the tile from underneath (just had to remove the batten running along the wall) and I've removed the one in the photograph without taking off the tile so I'm fairly confident I can do the same to reconnect.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back